I was visiting my family in New Jersey several months ago when my aunt served me a slice of almond cake. Now, I love my aunt’s cooking and baking; and she had never served me this dessert before! So, I was intrigued to try and let me tell you; it is delicious!
This almond cake recipe is actually addicting and I don’t even like cake! If I do eat cake, it has to be light, moist, and not overly sweet which this cake recipe hits all those notes. I did tweak the recipe by cutting down the sweetness but this is purely inspired by my aunt’s cake.
Potential of this almond cake being Gluten-Free
The cake requires both almond and semolina flour but to make it gluten-free, I would try to do it with completely almond flour. So, 2.5 cups of almond flour in place of the semolina flour. It has not been tested yet but I strongly believe it will work! If you do try, let me know in the comments how it goes!
The cake is sweetened with condensed milk which makes it extra moist and gives it that perfect sweetness. The almonds on the outside offer crunch and really push for that almond flavor. For this almond cake recipe, I use vanilla but if you have almond flavoring instead; go for it!
I baked this cake in a 9 by 11 and I have baked it in a 8 inch pan as well and I did prefer the thicker cut of cake that the 8 inch baking pan offered. You can bake in any desired pan but always keep in mind that can change baking times of your cake. To check doneness, always use the toothpick method!
If you are anything like me and love a light cake then this is the recipe for you! It’s become a favorite amongst friends and family! Check out these other cake recipes on my blog:
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Almond flavoring would be ideal here if you have some!
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Plain yogurt sour cream works too or even greek yogurt
- 6 oz Nestle Table cream Also known as Puck cream (ishta)
- 1 cup Coarse Semolina Flour
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Tahini you can use nonstick spray to prep the pan too
- 3/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- 7 oz Sweetened condensed milk
- In a Kitchenaid, mix together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla or almond flavoring. If you do not have a kitchenaid, just use a bowl and rubber utensil.
- Then, add the oil, cream, and yogurt. Mix all together really well.
- Lastly, add the dry ingredients and stir together until well mixed.
- Prep the desired baking pan by brushing with tahini. This offers a nutty taste. Pour the batter into desired baking pan. I have used both a 9 by 11 pyrex baking pan and an 8 inch baking pan and they both worked great. The 8 inch baking pan made the cake a thicker cut which therefore required an extra 10 min baking time. I actually preferered it thicker too!Always keep in mind that dependent on the size of the pan, the cake can be less or more thick.
- Garnish the batter entirely with the sliced almonds then bake in a 350 F oven for 25-30 minutes on the middle rack. The cake should be tender yet lightly browned all aroound.
- Once out of the oven, poke holes into the cake and drizzle the condensed milk. You can also cut into the cake if it is baked in a 9 by 11 then drizzle in the milk that way. Both methods work!
- Allow for the cake to completely cool before serving to avoid any crumbling! Enjoy room temperature! Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.