This Gluten-Free Almond Coffee Cake is irresistibly good. The almond cake is so moist, and the cinnamon sugar walnut filling is the perfect amount of decadence. The topping of shaved almonds gives a bit of crunch, while the dust of powdered sugar offers a sweet finish.
The Inspiration behind this Almond Coffee Cake:
There is a Palestinian dessert known as Dah Dah. Dah Dah, is a semolina-based cake that is cut into bars. It is typically stuffed with sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, and coconut. Think of it as a cross between walnut maamoul and basboosa. My friend suggested I make this cake as part of my Ramadan series. She recommended making it Gluten-free by using almond flour in place of semolina. I am happy I did so. The result is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
How to make this Gluten-Free Cake:
- Make the batter. It is a simple almond flour cake batter- eggs, almond flour, vanilla, sugar, and baking powder are all you need. It yields such a moist and fluffy result.
- Make the filling. The filling comprises finely crushed walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon powder. Those three ingredients work brilliantly, setting this cake apart from other almond cakes.
- Lastly, the cake will be topped with shaved almonds. This gives it a pretty appearance and hints that it is an almond cake while offering a nice textural contrast—the finishing touch after the cake has cooled a dusting of powdered sugar-ties it all together.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY ALMOND COFFEE CAKE
- Adding the 2 tbsp of vanilla is essential since using 6 eggs-this cake will not have an eggy taste whatsoever.
- Make sure to whisk the batter until there are no lumps. You want a creamy smooth batter.
- It is imperative to grease the baking pan very well. This is a moist cake that will stick if not done so. I suggest using parchment paper to line the baking pan to avoid the cake giving you a difficult time getting out of the pan.
- Allow for the cake to cool completely! I know it will be tempting–trust me! But, you must wait to avoid the cake from crumbling. It is delicate and so worth the wait.
Be sure to check out my Almond Coffee Cake video below! For the best viewing experience, watch the video in full-screen mode!
Leave a comment & Rate the recipe
As always, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a rating and review below if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help. And send your remakes to my Instagram page for a chance to be featured. I also love seeing your creations! And if you love this cake, be sure to check out my other Almond Cake recipe-it’s a hit!
Almond Coffee Cake
- 6 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Flavor
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 2.5 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
Cinnamon Walnut Sugar Filling
- 1 cup Walnuts, crushed
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Shaved Almonds
- Powdered Sugar
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. To this, add the almond flour and baking powder. Mix well until there are no lumps in the batter. Set the batter to the side.
- To make the filling, add the crushed walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and stir. Then, add in the melted butter and mix. Set to the side.
- Prep an 8 by 8 inch baking pan by greasing it very well or adding parchment paper. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of the batter to the bottom of the pan then top with the cinnamon filling. Pour the reamining batter on top. The batter may not completely over the filling and that is okay.
- Top off the batter evenly with the sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes on the bottom rack then 5-10 min on the top rack until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely at room temp then dust with powedered sugar and cut into 16 pieces. Make sure to gently remove from the pan as it is a delicate cake. Enjoy room temperature!