Almond Coffee Cake
This Gluten-Free Almond Coffee Cake is irresistibly good. The almond cake is so moist, and the cinnamon sugar walnut filling is the perfect amount of decadence. The topping of shaved almonds gives a bit of crunch, while the dust of powdered sugar offers a sweet finish.
The Inspiration behind this Almond Coffee Cake:
There is a Palestinian dessert known as Dah Dah. Dah Dah, is a semolina-based cake that is cut into bars. It is typically stuffed with sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, and coconut. Think of it as a cross between walnut maamoul and basboosa. My friend suggested I make this cake as part of my Ramadan series. She recommended making it Gluten-free by using almond flour in place of semolina. I am happy I did so. The result is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
How to make this Gluten-Free Cake:
- Make the batter. It is a simple almond flour cake batter- eggs, almond flour, vanilla, sugar, and baking powder are all you need. It yields such a moist and fluffy result.
- Make the filling. The filling comprises finely crushed walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon powder. Those three ingredients work brilliantly, setting this cake apart from other almond cakes.
- Lastly, the cake will be topped with shaved almonds. This gives it a pretty appearance and hints that it is an almond cake while offering a nice textural contrast—the finishing touch after the cake has cooled a dusting of powdered sugar-ties it all together.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY ALMOND COFFEE CAKE
- Adding the 2 tbsp of vanilla is essential since using 6 eggs-this cake will not have an eggy taste whatsoever.
- Make sure to whisk the batter until there are no lumps. You want a creamy smooth batter.
- It is imperative to grease the baking pan very well. This is a moist cake that will stick if not done so. I suggest using parchment paper to line the baking pan to avoid the cake giving you a difficult time getting out of the pan.
- Allow for the cake to cool completely! I know it will be tempting–trust me! But, you must wait to avoid the cake from crumbling. It is delicate and so worth the wait.
Be sure to check out my Almond Coffee Cake video below! For the best viewing experience, watch the video in full-screen mode!
Leave a comment & Rate the recipe
As always, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a rating and review below if you try this recipe. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help. And send your remakes to my Instagram page for a chance to be featured. I also love seeing your creations! And if you love this cake, be sure to check out my other Almond Cake recipe-it’s a hit!
Almond Coffee Cake
- 6 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Flavor
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 2.5 cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
Cinnamon Walnut Sugar Filling
- 1 cup Walnuts, crushed
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Shaved Almonds
- Powdered Sugar
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. To this, add the almond flour and baking powder. Mix well until there are no lumps in the batter. Set the batter to the side.
- To make the filling, add the crushed walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and stir. Then, add in the melted butter and mix. Set to the side.
- Prep an 8 by 8 inch baking pan by greasing it very well or adding parchment paper. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of the batter to the bottom of the pan then top with the cinnamon filling. Pour the reamining batter on top. The batter may not completely over the filling and that is okay.
- Top off the batter evenly with the sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes on the bottom rack then 5-10 min on the top rack until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely at room temp then dust with powedered sugar and cut into 16 pieces. Make sure to gently remove from the pan as it is a delicate cake. Enjoy room temperature!
Fantastic. I’m gluten free but my husband is not and it hard to make something he likes. This cake however doesn’t compromise anything. both of loved it.
You guys, if your thinking about making this almond cake don’t think just make it. It’s sooo freaking delicious and honestly so easy to make this is why i love fufu’s recipes she makes it easy on us. Delicious and simple thanks fufu
Made this tonight. So simple and quick to make and it is very good!
Looks so delicious. I would like to try. Any alternative for eggs?
You can try doing flax eggs or chia eggs!
I made this today for my husband who doesn’t tolerant gluten at all. He hasn’t been able to enjoy most of the Ramadan sweets at our gatherings so I decided to surprise him with it. He loved it soooo much. I didn’t have walnuts so I subbed pecans instead and added a little more butter to the mixture, and it was so fluffy and perfect. He said it definitely tasted like a Ramadan dessert! Thank you Haifa for this GF dessert option. It was so easy to make!
Confession— I love desserts but hate baking because I feel like it’s too complicated. This recipe felt impossible to mess up with all the simple ingredients and I was right!! Soooo delicious and so easy to make, thank you for the beautiful recipe Fufu!
This was so delicious. It was very easy and simple to make. My family really loved it. It pairs well with coffee or tea
oh my goodness..the date blondies are sooooo gooood..amazing flavor, easy and definitely going on repeat, inshallah… thank you for sharing 🙌
Absolutely loved recreating this recipe, such a light and nutty recipe and now has been added to list of my fav bakes 😍
Would love to make this but my husband is allergic to walnuts! What would you use instead?
I am obsessed with this Coffee Cake! I made it on a whim a few weeks ago, and have made it 3 times since! It has been a hit every single time I make it – so moist and the perfect balance of cinnamon to sweet!
The most moist cake I have ever made! Delicious could not even tell it was gluten-free!