Hi everyone! Happy Sunday 🙂
So, today is my 26th birthday and of course I had to make my own cake! Not only is is gluten free, dairy free, low on sugar but it is so light and delicious. That is exactly how I like my desserts. I love strawberries and citrus flavors so it was a no brainer for me to include both into my cake. Coconut cream is also a very good alternative to whipped cream for dairy free desserts. As for the aesthetics of the cake, I’ve always felt the more simple the cake; the more elegant it is. So, I was aiming for a rustic naked berry cake and I think I hit the mark. I love that I am sharing with you a cake I made for my birthday that you can make for any of your future occasions especially if you have dietary restrictions like myself. If you like a light cake; then this would be perfect for you too.
Serving size: 2 layer 8”round cake with 1 layer filling. Serves about 10 people
Time: about 2 hours to make, fill and decorate
4 cups almond flour
6 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of sugar free syrup (*can use regular maple syrup or honey as well)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla flavor
3 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp orange zest
For the filling and topping:
16 oz package of strawberries (1 lb)
2 cans of coconut milk refrigerated overnight
4 tbsp sugar free syrup or regular maple syrup
2 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp fresh orange juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla flavor
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Grease two 8 inch pans with non stick spray very well.
- In one bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs lightly and add the vanilla, orange juice & zest along with the coconut oil and syrup. Pour this wet mixture into the dry one and mix. There may be some lumps but that is okay.
- Divide the batter between the two pans. Place in the oven to bake for 40 minutes. Place a toothpick in the center of the cake if clear when taken out then cake is baked through.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10-15 minutes before taking out of the pan. I like to use spring form pans because they are overall easier to work with. I will link a set below. With a toothpick or fork make little holes (not too deep) into the cake and squeeze some fresh orange juice into the pores.
- While cake is cooling, make the filling and topping. Into a chilled bowl, scoop the thick creamy part of the coconut milk that should have risen to the top of the can after cooling the coconut milk overnight. Add it to a bowl along with the vanilla,orange zest and juice, syrup and cinnamon.
- Mix with a chilled rubber spatula till smooth and creamy. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Slice a cup of fresh strawberries.
- By now, cakes should be completely cooled. Once completely cooled, add some of the coconut cream on top of the first layer and spread out with a spatula. Add your sliced strawberries. *Optional: sprinkle some toasted coconut as well.
- Add the other layer of cake on top. Then ice it with the rest of the coconut cream with a spatula. Top off with fresh strawberries and orange zest.
Spring form pan set:[WooZoneProducts asin=”B01FSKDYHW”][/WooZoneProducts]