I am so excited to share this delicious and simple Middle Eastern recipe with you. It’s one of those 30 min meals that will make the whole household satisfied! It is so delicious and easy. Pop them in the oven or grill them; either way, these arayes will be mouth-watering. My mom would make arayes growing up when we had leftover meat from another dish like kofta! And I would secretly look forward to these as they are so good! Crunchy pita on the outside and a perfectly seasoned layer of meat inside!
Traditionally, ground beef or ground lamb is used as the meat in the stuffing. You can even mix both if you would like. You can use fresh or leftover pita for this too. I personally, love to stuff my arayes to medium thickness but you can over or under stuff. It is totally a preference!
Just a few simple steps to make Arayes:
- Season the meat generously.
- Stuff the pitas.
- Brush oil on both sides of the pita.
- Bake until crisp.
- Enjoy warm or with some plain yogurt to dip.
Here are a few other simple Middle Eastern recipes that you will enjoy:
- 1 lb Ground Lamb or Ground Beef, lean or 1/2 a pound of each combined
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Seven spice or all spice
- 1 tbsp Paprika preferabbly smoked
- Salt & pepper to taste at least 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 cup Parsley
- 2 tsp Red chili paste
- 5 Pita Bread cut in half and opened
- 1/4 cup Olive oil for brushing the pita
- In a food processor or blender, pulse together the onion, garlic, and parsley. Drain from excess liquid.
- Add that mixture to the ground meat and mix.
- Season the ground meat with the above seasonings, tomato paste, and chili paste. Make sure it is well seasoned.
- Mix everything together very well.
- Place about 1/3 cup of filling into each pita; about medium thickness. Spread it out. The meat layer should be visible when looking at the opened side of the pita.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a pan with parchment paper or nonstick spray.
- Brush olive oil on each side of the pita then sprinkle with a little salt. You can also use non stick oil spary and spray each side of the pita.
- Add the pita's to a pan. Bake for about 8-10 minutes on each side until crisp. You can broil each side for a minute as well for extra crispiness. Enjoy warm. You can use plain yogurt to dip in as well if you prefer.