This was the spaghetti my mom made for us growing up. It is a baked spaghetti (Macarona bi’lahmeh) that has red sauce and spiced minced meat and tons of cheese on top. The allspice in this recipe, along with the za’atar makes it a little Middle Eastern you can say. At least, that was my mom’s spin on this, and it stuck, and I love it.
I wish I were joking when I say that my husband and I ate this whole tray in 2 days by ourselves. This baked spaghetti (macarona bi’lahmeh) is just that good, honestly. It is so easy too and something that both kids and adults will enjoy alike. You can pair it with a side salad or eat an entire plate of this. No judgment; that is what I did! Give this a try the next time you want to diversify from your typical spaghetti and meatballs. This is a quicker and different take that I am sure you will love and make on repeat.
Let me know what you think when you try in the comment section below, and be sure to tag your remakes to my Instagram account. I love to see them!
Baked Spaghetti (Macarona Bi’Lahmeh)
- 1 lb Ground Beef (lean)
- 1/2 tbsp All spice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Shatta (Chili Sauce)
- 1 Tomato, diced, large
- 16 oz Spaghetti
- 24 oz Marinara Sauce (Tomato sauce) preferably flavored with garlic and or basil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 cup Za'atar
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- First, add the spaghetti to a pot of boiling salted water and cook per package instructions.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add the ground beef and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and allspice. Break down the beef with a spatula into bits and let this brown.
- After a few minutes, add the tomato paste along with the chili sauce and fresh diced tomato. Cook all together for a few minutes until the fresh tomatoes cook down and the meat is fully cooked. Taste to adjust seasoning if needed. Set aside.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained; add the marinara sauce to the spaghetti. Add the meat to this as well. Give it a nice stir all together.
- Place the pasta in a 9 by 11 baking dish and top evenly with the parmesan and zaatar then the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy warm!