Tomatoes are that one fruit that you will always find in my fridge. Yes, it is a fruit! Who knew? Ever since I enjoyed a caprese salad; I love the pairing of tomatoes with balsamic. Sweet and tang is a great duo. Fresh tomatoes on their own are beautiful and delicious to eat but I decided to experiment the idea of sauteing the tomatoes and smothering them with balsamic….Result? A caramelized roasted color and deep flavor. This is super easy to make and will definitely elevate your palette for tomatoes!
Balsamic Glazed Tomatoes- Simple yet decadent
Total time: 15 min
Serving size: 4 people
4 Roma Tomatoes
1 tablespoon of Olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Take out a medium sized pan and turn the flame on medium heat.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the pan; let it simmer for a minute. Make sure pan is hot; you want to hear that sizzle when the tomato hits the pan.
- Gently place the tomato halves face down into the pan; you should hear a loud sizzle if not, the pan isn’t hot enough. Be careful from any oil splatter.
- Leave tomatoes like this for 5 minutes in the pan. Flip over a tomato half to check for nice dark marks-a caramelized look.
- Once that is achieved, flip over all the other tomatoes and add the balsamic vinaigrette-just enough to coat the entire pan.
- Let that simmer for another 5 minutes; until you notice the skin peeling off the tomato.
- Using a spoon; coat the tomatoes with the balsamic glaze from the pan itself. I say glaze because the consistency of the vinaigrette when simmered will become thicker.
- It is then ready to serve as a healthy delicious side or on top of some toast.
I paired it with leftover guacamole on a thin piece of multi grain bread-A perfect healthy lunch. Enjoy!