Bulgar is one of my favorite grains used in Palestinian cooking to enjoy especially in the summertime because it goes so well with BBQ. My mom always made bulgar as opposed to rice with our kebabs and I truly prefer it! It is so good! This bulgar salad makes for a refreshing and really simple side dish to any meal really. It is packed with nutrients and loads of flavor. It is bright and leftovers taste even better because the flavors will have more time to mesh with one another.
I often make this Bulgar Salad for meal prep since it lasts for a good week in the fridge covered in an airtight container. So, make an abundance and eat it throughout the week as a healthy side dish to your meal! It really goes with everything. Anything from seafood to red meat.
If you have a gluten intolerance, sub the bulgar with quinoa instead. It will be really delicious as well! If you want, you can also add some crumbled feta on top for extra flavor but that is completely optional! You have to try this vegan-friendly meal and let me know what you think! Promise you will love it 🙂
Here are a few other salads you might like:
- 1 cup Coarse Bulgar (cracked wheat) #3 on packaging
- 1 Bouillon Cube or 1 tbsp bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Curry powder optional but adds great flavor
- 1 pint Cherry tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes chopped halved
- 1 Cucumber chopped
- 1/2 Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro or parsley chopped
- 1/2 Red onion chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Lemon's Juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Dried Mint optional
- In a pot, add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of bulgar. Add the curry, bouillon, and tomato paste. Stir together. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes until bulgar is cooked through.
- In the meantime, add all the chopped vegetables to the serving bowl. Also, add the ingreidents for the dressing in the same bowl. Stir together well.
- Once bulgar is cooked, add it to the salad and mix with all the flavors. Taste to see if it needs any more seasoning. Place it in the fridge for at least 1 hour before servings. The longer the flavors sit together the more delicious this slaad is!
- If there are any leftovers, store in an airtight container and place in the fridge to enjoy for a week's time.