Butternut Squash Soup
Hi friends! Soup season is upon us. As it starts to cool down outdoors, we are looking for bowls of comfort to enjoy indoors. This butternut squash soup is everything you need. It is slightly sweet from the squash and has a kick of heat from the curry. The combination of flavors, although just a few, really adds depth to the soup. The coconut milk adds more so creaminess in texture as opposed to any flavor. Don’t you worry, this soup will not taste like coconut! The onions, garlic, and rosemary add lots of fragrant aromas to this soup. The Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Filippo Berio which I use often when sauteeing onions and garlic adds the perfect complimentary flavor. You will see how everything just works.
When creating this butternut squash soup, I wanted to keep one thing in mind; sustainability. This recipe is an ode to just that as it is plant-based and primarily focuses on butternut squash which is an ingredient in season. When you cook sustainably, you help the environment in many ways. For one, you are less wasteful and will also save money in the long run. By eating local seasonal foods you can help reduce the environmental costs associated with your food. Local produce is more likely to be ripened on the farm before being harvested and delivered. Therefore, the food is fresher, tastes better and is more nutritious for you. It’s a win-win. Also, Plant-based recipes are regarded as more sustainable as they require less energy from fossil fuels, less land, and less water to grow.
Here are a few other recipes using butternut squash: Butternut Squash Mac N’ Cheese, Autumn Couscous salad, Roasted Butternut squash
As always, please tag me in your creations on my Instagram page; I would love to see them!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 3.5 lb Butternut Squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Hot Curry Powder
- 1 Sprig Rosemary, use just the leaves, minced
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 14 oz Coconut Milk Can, unsweetened
- Pumpin Seeds
- In a pot, add the olive oil along with the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Saute until fragrant and transluscent.
- Next, add the cubed butternut squash to the pot. Season with salt, pepper, curry powder, and add the rosemary. Stir together and let this cook for about 10 minutes until the squash starts to tenderize.
- To the vegetables, add the stock and cook until the squash is tender. This takes about 25 minutes.
- Then, add the coconut milk and stir. Using an immersion blender, blend the components of the soup together until creamy. You can also pour the mixture into a blender and blend that way.
- Garnish pumpkin seeds and enjoy this luscious comforting soup!
Can we use regular curry?
Hi Nada, Yes. Any form of curry powder is fine. I pair it with hot or mild curry so it contrasts with the natural sweetness of butternut squash.
I made this for my family last week for the first time and it was so good- thank you- they were all very impressed. It was such an easy recipe to follow too- 3ashet 2eedek! 🙂