Who doesn’t love cheese? Yet alone, cheese rolls! These crispy and creamy cheese rolls are going to be a staple in your home once you give them a try! What I love most about them is that they are freezer-friendly and can be air fried making them much healthier to enjoy too! Sounds great, right? Also, takes under 30 minutes to prepare and cook! With Ramadan just a week away, all of these things are super important. This makes for a fantastic appetizer or side dish!
For the pastry, you can use spring roll pastry as it is thin and fried to crisp perfection or egg roll pastry. Both are pliable and easy to stuff and roll making them convenient to work with. You can also find them in almost all supermarkets! For the cheese blend, my absolute favorite and go-to is Arabic cheese, Feta cheese, and cream cheese. I then like to add dried herbs like mint and oregano to really brighten the cheese rolls. However, these are flexible and substitutions can be made to suit what you prefer or have on hand. For example, if you do not have access to Arabic cheese then use Queso Fresco which may be more readily available. Shredded Mozzarella cheese does great in these cheese rolls as well.
To be on the healthier side and to stay mess-free, I love to air fry these cheese rolls. They are just as crispy, gooey, and delicious without all the mess of frying. But of course, no air fryer? No problem. Go ahead and fry these in some vegetable oil for a few minutes until golden perfection.
How to Store Cheese Rolls
This stores really well in a ziplock bag after being stuffed and rolled. Lay them flat in the ziplock next to each other then place them in the freezer for future use. If you do plan to stack these in the storage bag then you must add a layer of wax paper in between them to avoid sticking. Take out when you would like to enjoy and allow them to sit out for 5-10 minutes then gently take them apart and fry!
And if you aren’t a fan of either spring roll pastry or cheese then check out my chicken & potato egg roll recipe! It is also freezer-friendly and great for Ramadan.
Check out my Instagram page for a video displaying how to make these!
- 1.5 tbsp Dried Mint
- 1.5 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 16 oz Arabic cheese, crumbed Queso fresco cheese will work great too
- 8 oz Creamy Feta, crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp Aleppo Pepper, red pepper flakes, or smoked paprika recommedned but optional
- Packet of Spring Roll Pastry or Egg roll pastry (25 Pieces medium size)
- Mix together all the components of the filling very well. Leave 1 tbsp of cream cheese to the side to use as glue to close these spring rolls.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of the filling onto the pastry in the shape of a log going down one of the sides or edges. Roll and then tuck on both ends and continue rolling. Once you reach a small triangke at the end, seal with a little cream cheese.
- The spring rolls can be air-fried at 400 F for 5-7 minutes. Egg rolls will take twice as long at about 6 minutes each side. Really dependent on your air fryer. Keep an eye on them. You want them to be lightly crispy and melted on the inside. Both can also be fried in vegetable oil until crispy as well! I have baked the egg roll variety in a 425 F oven for 15-20 minutes turning halfway once and it came out crispy. However, the layers folded inside were not cooked enitely through in my experience. I find the best method is to fry if you are looking for an authentic look but air frying or baking will suffice and be delicious as well but there may be a higher risk of the filling leaking.
- Store in a ziplock bag laying flat (not stacked) if you are to stack them then make sure there is a layer of wax paper in between to avoid stickage. Store in the freezer to enjoy whenever!