I grew up eating this chicken & veggie casserole at potlucks and always looked forward to it. My mom and aunt would make it all the time for an easy dinner that we all loved or for gatherings. It is always a crowd favorite. I mean, why wouldn’t it be? Creamy vegetables, seasoned tender chicken, ‘topped with cheesy potatoes sounds amazing to me any day. I couldn’t even tell you what the best part of the dish is because it is all so good!
Don’t have all the ingredients on hand?
We literally make this casserole for Ramadan dinners, Thanksgiving dinner, or for a weeknight dinner. You can’t go wrong. This recipe allows you to play around with different vegetables depending on what you have on hand. Anything would really work beautifully in this dish whether mushrooms, zucchini, green beans, or broccoli. You can sub half n half for heavy creamy too. This is just one of those meals that you can’t mess up. It is going to be delicious regardless!
I can’t believe I waited so long to make it for myself. Now that I am miles away from my mom and aunt; I make this dish to give me comfort and bring back memories. This chicken & veggie casserole just needs a few simple ingredients to come together to make for a fantastic meal. Make it ahead and warm it up. It is definitely a no-fuss dish! I am sure it would taste great with leftover chicken too!
Chicken & Veggie Casserole
- 2 Chicken Breasts cubed
- 1/2 cup Corn kernels fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 cup Peas fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 cup Carrots fresh sliced thinly into mall cuts, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 cup Bell peppers diced, fresh
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream for extra creaminess, add 2 cups
- 2 Potatoes peeled, and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp Seven spice or all spice
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Onion powder
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan. Add the chicken to this pan and season with the garlic powder, onion powder, seven spice, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes until just cooked through. If you cover the chicken with a lid, it will cook faster. Once cooked just set it aside.
- In a pot, boil salted water and place the potato slices in the pot to cook until just tender enough but not mush. You want to be able to still hold the potato without it breaking. This shouldn't take more than 5-10 min on medium-high heat.
- In the same pan, the chicken was cooked, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and all the veggies. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes covered until tender.
- Add the chicken and veggies together in a casserole dish about 8 by 8 in size. Top with the potato slices. Season the potato with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream into the casserole. The cream should cover the chicken and veggie filling. If not, add more.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil tightly.
- Place in a 375 F oven for about 25 minutes. The cream should be boiling by then which is what you want to see if not leave it a little longer. Take off the foil and scatter the cheese all over the top of the potatoes.
- Broil on high for a minute or two until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Enjoy warm!
Here are a few other easy chicken recipes you may enjoy:
If you make this recipe, let me know what you thought in the comments! I love to hear from you guys. Be sure to check out my blog for other recipes you may be craving. If you want to see a recipe, in particular, let me know!
Make sure to follow me on my social media platforms for even more food inspiration!