Hey friends! I haven’t shared a quick and easy healthier alternative to a snack/dessert in a while so I am super excited to present to you these chocolate & almond butter crisp bars! They are vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, free from refined sugar, and oh so good! You will love them, I am sure. Your kids will rave about them; that I am also sure of. Use these as a treat rather than the typical candy bars sold in the supermarket. This is way better for you and them. It is so easy to make too! Try them out and let me know what you think! If you or your kiddos like trail mix, then I have this addicting trail mix bar recipe too!
Servings: 9-18 pieces (depending on how its cut)
Total Time: 20-30 minutes
3 1/2 cup vegan & gluten free brown rice crisp cereal ( you can use regular rice krispies cereal if you want)
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup or honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 bar of dark chocolate (3.2 ounces)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of salt
- Grab an 8×8 pan and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the puffed rice cereal. Add the cinnamon and pinch of salt to it.
- In a pot, add the almond butter and honey or maple syrup. Stir it. Once melted, pour on top of the puffed rice. Mix together gently.
- Pour the puffed rice mixture into the baking pan and start to spread it out making sure to fit it into the shape of the pan and even out the top. Place in the freezer.
- In the same pot, melt your chocolate of choice. I used 85% dark Belgian Chocolate. *The darker the chocolate the less sweet it is. Keep that in mind. If using 1/3 cup sweetener then I recommend using very dark chocolate to balance out. Once chocolate starts to melt, add the coconut oil. Once melted, take off the heat and stir in the cornstarch.
- Take the pan out of the freezer and pour the chocolate all over the top. Some of the chocolate will go through the layers of the rice crisps and some will stay on top. Sprinkle with sea salt if you wish and shredded coconut. Chopped almonds would also be amazing to sprinkle on top as well.
- Place back in the freezer for a good 15 minutes. Take out and cut into 9 large squares or cut into 18 smaller rectangles. (Cut the 9 squares in 1/2)
- Place on a plate or in a pyrex and put in the fridge covered well for no more than a week. If it lasts longer, place them in the freezer. Enjoy this delicious, sugar refined free treat perfect for you or in your kid’s school lunch!