We all seem to have ripe bananas lying around and banana bread has become the craze. I mean why wouldn’t it be? It is so easy to make and requires just a few pantry staples to make a delicious loaf of cake. Count me in! Now, this chocolate banana bread just takes things to a whole other level.
I have always thought chocolate and bananas are a delicious match. The silky dark slightly bitter chocolate with the sweet ripened banana creates a mouthful of flavors that are quite addicting. Now imagine that in a decadent cake. This chocolate banana bread is not only gluten-free but dairy-free and has no refined sugars either!
Trust me this cake doesn’t lack chocolate or banana flavor. Its texture is moist, cake-like, and chocolatey. The cassava flour from Hearthy Foods made for a fabulous alternative to all-purpose flour. It is subtle in taste and adds a nutty note as well which enhances the loaf flavor. Highly recommend for any person following a gluten-free diet, whole30, or paleo to keep cassava flour in their pantry. You can use it for tortillas and/or baked goods just like this chocolate banana bread.
Check out my other classic banana bread recipe too!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 cup Cassava Flour from Hearthy Foods 1 cup all purpose flour will work as well if not looking for a gluten alternative
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil melted, or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg To make vegan, try a flax or chia egg
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar Brown sugar will work too
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Chips
- 3 Medium Bananas mashed
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
- In a bowl, add the mashed bananas and melted coconut oil. Mix together. If using a kitchenaid, then use the paddle adjustment.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and sugar to the mixture and mix very well together.
- Add the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder next and mix well.
- Lastly, toss in a majority of the chocolate chips. Leave a few for garnish on the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 350 F for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Place a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, then the cake is good to go. Take it out and let it cool down room temperature for 20 minutes before slicing and enjoying.