Classic Philly Cheesesteak
Growing up on the East coast, I loved a good Classic Philly Cheesesteak. It was definitely one of my favorite comfort foods and sandwiches as I am a huge sandwich lover. Now, years later and in the city of Chicago; you cant find a classic philly cheesesteak anywhere!
So, leave it to me to make some for dinner for my husband to experience for the first time and for me to have all these nostalgic feelings come up. These sandwiches came out fantastic and I cannot wait for you to try them and see for yourself how easy and flavorful they are!
Classic Philly Cheese steak
- 1 lb Skirt steak (ribeye steak would work too) very thinly sliced, against the grain
- 2 Medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Butter divided
- 5 Provolone Cheese Slices or White American Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 Hoagies (rolls)
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of butter. Place the thinly sliced onions in the skillet as well. Season with salt and pepper. Saute on medium heat for about 15 minutes until the onions caramelize and are tender. Set that aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tbsp of butter and add the steak. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the steak in the pan on medium-high for about 5 minutes until it is fully cooked and nicely seared. Add the onions back into the mix and stir together. Cook off as much of the liquid as you can so it doesn't sog the bread.
- Cut the rolls in half. Mix the butter and garlic together. Then slather it onto the insides of the rolls and toast on a skillet inside facing down.
- Layer the steak mixture with slices of cheese on top with the heat on low. Cover it so the steam melts the cheese. Then scoop the mixture into the rolls and enjoy warm.
Made this for the first time and it was totally delicious, everyone loved it! Very tasty thank you for your lovely recipes! Xx
EASIEST philly cheese steak recipe I’ve came across! So delicious and fast.
Easiest phillycheese steak recipe I’ve came across!!! I had dinner on the table faster than ever!!! Thank you!
Love this recipe!! Seriously so tasty and super easy to follow!!
Amazing and easy recipe!
Perfect recipe so delicious and explained simply and very well!! my kids stopped ordering it from outside.
I love to hear that 🙂
Just made this last night and it was SUCH a hit, can’t believe how easy it was. So so good, thank you for the recipe Heifa!
My absolute pleasure!