I have always loved this time of year. The weather is crisp, people are cheerful, and I have an awesome excuse to bake all the time whether for co-workers, friends, or neighbors. These cranberry orange cookies are a go-to for me; they are sweet but tart and full of citrus flavor. They are so easy to make as well; just a few ingredients and 20 minutes of your time and you will have a delicious batch of cranberry orange cookies.
I personally love using fresh ingredients rather than extracts and flavorings. Those always seem to have an after taste. So, instead of orange essence; I use fresh orange juice and zest to really capture that citrus flavor. I also use dried cranberries because they are easier to bake with and sweeter than fresh cranberries which are naturally sour and tangy.
Cranberry and orange actually happen to be one of my favorite profiles. I absolutely love it; if you too are a fan then check out my cranberry orange biscotti recipe. I even top these cookies with a delicious and super simple orange glaze that can be used for any cookie or basic cake recipe too. If glaze isn’t your thing, feel free to keep the cookie as is or drizzle with some white chocolate! If you aren’t, I have so many other cookie recipes that you got to try like these below.
Any of these would be delicious!
Cranberry orange Cookies
- 1 Egg
- 1 stick Room temp, unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour Add 1 more tbsp of flour is batter comes out too sticky
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavoring
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 1/2 tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 tbsp Fresh Orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp Orange Zest
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together the egg, both sugars, and butter until creamy.
- To this, add the vanilla, orange juice, and zest. Mix once more.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and flour at this point. Mix together.
- Fold in the dried cranberries.
- Scoop into balls. I recommend using a cookie scooper for uniform sizes.
- Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet 2-3 inched apart.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes. Then bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While they baked, mix together the glaze ingredients. Once cookie is cooled, drizzle the glaze on top and enjoy!