These date rolls are just as good as they look if not better! They are naturally sweetened from the dates and have loads of nutrition as they are jam-packed with raw nuts as well. Not only are these date nut rolls healthy, but they are also vegan and gluten-free. These date rolls truly make for the perfect snack to keep you energized! They are even a healthy option as a dessert to keep on hand to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Always around this time of year, we have a stock of dates in our house for Ramadan. In Ramadan, our fast breaks with a date as they are easily digested and offer a quick source of energy which is needed after fasting for hours. So, these are always on hand! I love to get festive with dates and utilize them in different ways as they are so versatile. Last year, I actually started a date series after Ramadan to give ideas for what to make with excess dates! Some of the recipes I shared include date walnut cookies, tahini date loaf, vegan date bars, and date shake.
What dates to use for this date nut roll?
This year, I am starting my series before Ramadan and starting it off with these date nut rolls! For this recipe, I use Natural Delights Whole Fresh Medjool dates. These delicious dates can be found by most stores near you and have zero additives, zero pesticides, and zero added sugars! For this recipe, you will need 2- 12 oz packages of these dates. You will pit them and pulse in a food processor with a little bit of water until paste-like! Then, add all the fixings, shape into a log, freeze, and cut into these gorgeous slices that make for the perfect snack. Simple, right?
This recipe is so versatile! You can add whatever nuts preferred or make substitutions as you see fit for you! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Date Nut Rolls
- 1 12 oz Whole Fresh Medjool Natural Delights
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tbsp Ground Anise
- 1.5 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries or any small bits of dried fruit
- 1/2 cup Mixed crushed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flakes
- 1/3 cup Sesame seeds
- Add the whole Medjool dates to a bowl and cover with warm water and let them soak for 20 minutes or until they soften. Drain and then take out the pits and place the dates into the food processor.
- Pulse in the food processor with 1-2 tbsp of water until it becomes paste-like.
- Take out of the processor and add it to a bowl. Add all the other ingredients for the date nut roll into the bowl and mix together well.
- Roll the date filling into a log on a layer of sesame seeds. I do this using a silicone mat to make it easier. Feel free to wet your hands if necessary to make it easy to roll as well since dates can be sticky.
- Wrap the date nut roll in plastic wrap and then aluminum wrap as well. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours before slicing and enjoying. Keep date nut roll slices in the freezer in a ziplock bag to snack on whenever!