Hi, my beautiful friends! Happy New Year! I wanted to start this decade with this fabulous easy dough recipe that I adapted from my mother who is my inspiration in the kitchen. This recipe only takes a few ingredients and some patience for an incredibly fluffy dough that can be topped or stuffed with whatever your heart desires.
This recipe can be vegan if the dry milk powder is omitted. I have not tested gluten-free flour using this recipe but I can imagine Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour may work as a substitute for the all-purpose flour or even almond flour. Let me know if you try!
My mom and I often make either pizza with this dough or savory Middle Eastern pies known as mo3aganat which are typically stuffed with cheese and spinach or topped with za’atar or meat. You can even deck this recipe with some dried herbs if you do so and make some fatayer (oregano bread). This dough is amazing for pizza and opened faced baked goods more than anything! The list is endless.
I would love to see what you make with this dough. Share your creations with me on Instagram and in the comments!
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water, lukewarm
- 1 packet Fast Rising Yeast about 2-3 tsp
- 2 tbsp Dried Milk Powder optional, does add extra fluffiness to the dough however
- This recipe can either be done by hand or using the dough handle for the Kitchenaid.
- First, mix together in the desired bowl the yeast, sugar, salt, milk powder, lukewarm water, and 2 cups flour until well combined.
- Cover with a towel and allow this to rest for 15 minutes.
- Then, add the olive oil and the remaining 3 cups of flour to the dough. It may be easier to do so one cup at a time. Use either dough hook or hands to bring this together.
- If the dough is too sticky at this point, add a pinch of flour to work with it.
- Shape it like a big ball and cover it with a towel for 1 hour.
- Divide it into smaller balls (around 25) for meat, spinach, za'atar, and cheese pies and rest for another 45 minutes covered with a towel preferably in a warm area. If using for pizza dough, just divide dough in half for 2 large pies.
- When ready to bake the desired pie, place in a 350 F oven for about 20 minutes for the savory pies and around 25-30 minutes for a large pizza. Keep an eye on it after 20 minutes.