Hi everyone! Happy Friday 🙂
I am really excited to be sharing this recipe with you. What some of you may not know is I worked at a bakery for 10 years before moving states and starting this blog. Some of my fondest memories were at the bakery; I developed new skills and a wider palette to things I never even heard of! Holiday time at the bakery was my absolute favorite! People are happy. Beautiful festive decorations everywhere. What I loved most was baking so many different cookies and getting the chance to be creative and decorate them. These roll out sugar cookies made me feel like I was right back at the bakery. The perfect cookie dough for making all kinds of shapes. Have fun with it! Get your friends or children involved and make memories of your own 🙂
1 cup sugar
2 sticks unsalted room temperature butter
1/4 cup of corn starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
pinch of salt
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar together till smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Add the vanilla & almond extract to that and stir. Add this to the butter and sugar mixture and gently stir together.
- In a larger bowl, add flour and baking powder. Slowly add this dry mixture to the wet mixture. Mix very well. I use a rubber spatula since I don’t have a mixer yet. That works just fine. A great arm workout too!
- Roll out the dough on a surface with flour. Make sure to flour the rolling pin as well. Roll the dough about an 1/8th inch thick.
- Cut out the desired shape. I made snowflakes and brushed it gently with egg whites then sprinkled blue sugar sprinkles on top. Then piped with Wilton’s decorating icing the details of the snow flake to make it more intricate.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes till edges start to brown. Set aside to cool.