Healthy Egg Salad
Okay, would you believe if I literally said I randomly whipped up this healthy egg salad and fell in love? It is true. I’ve been brainstorming for days of Arabic inspired dishes and kept drawing a blank. Then, I was in the kitchen wanting to make some boiled eggs. I saw labneh sitting in my fridge and thought this would be a fantastic substitute for mayo. And it just went from there! That is how I came up with this delicious healthy egg salad!
And if you are anything like me, I used to not even be able to boil an egg properly. Can you believe it? I can make a pot of grape leaves and bake an exquisite cake but boiling an egg or making a pot of rice was always a downfall for me until it wasn’t! So, I am going to give you tips on how to boil the perfect egg too because that is key for a delicious egg salad recipe!
Boiling Eggs tips for a delicious healthy egg salad!
- Add a spoon of vinegar in your pot of water along with a pinch of salt. Bring water to a boil before adding the eggs.
- Use older eggs as opposed to newer eggs as they are easier to peel.
- Boil eggs for 10 minutes for the perfect cook time. It will be perfectly yellow inside and soft.
- Once eggs are boiled. place them in a bowl with cold water to cool for a few minutes before peeling.
- To peel, gently crack the shell on a surface then peel under running water to make it easier. Shell should come off nicely!
Now, that you have all the tips to make the perfect egg salad recipe; you need to try this as soon as possible! I promise you the tang from the labneh will go so well with the boiled eggs and spicy chili sauce. The za’atar and olive oil is the perfect finishing touch for an Arabic inspired dish!
Healthy Egg Salad
- 8 Eggs, chopped hard-boiled. See notes below for tips on how to boil an egg.
- 4 tbsp Labneh Arabic strained yogurt, add more for more creaminess
- 1 tbsp Shatta Arabic Chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Za'atar
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the labneh, shatta, olive oil, and za'atar.
- Add the chopped boil eggs to it. Season with salt and pepper to your liking and stir together. Enjoy with pita or as is!
- Use older eggs as opposed to newer ones you may have. (The older the egg, the easier it will be to peel)
- In the pot to boil the eggs, add a spoon of white vinegar and salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil then add the eggs.
- For a perfectly cooked egg, boil for ten minutes.
- Then, place in ice-cold water to cool for a few minutes.
- Crack on the side of a plate then peel under running water.
Soooo good! Every element of a Middle Eastern breakfast combined in this perfect egg salad recipe and tips for boiling the eggs are handy. Amazing combo Heifa – thank you!
Thank you! Also glad you found the tips helpful!
I immediately thought about giving this recipe a try after I saw it on instagram but I thought about using sour cream indtead of the Labaneh and it was really good! And so creamy, next time inshallah I will try to make it with Labaneh. Also it can be a good choice for a breakfast meal to kick off your day with energy!
Thanks Fufu ❤️
Sour cream is a great alternative! Glad you enjoyed this!
I’ve made this twice already. It is so good. What a great combo and idea! I’m waiting for our next family brunch to make and take it bc people gotta know about this! Lol
Thanks so much!
All of my favorite flavors in one! Such a great go-to recipe to prepare ahead for the week or a delicious option to serve for friends at brunch!
This is the best egg salad I have ever made, and the method for cooking eggs produced the creamiest texture – thank you!!!!
Such a sweet compliment!
Made this egg salad for an early breakfast before a day of fasting and it was so quick to make and delicious! By far one of my go-to’s!
So happy you loved it! It is a favorite of mine!
This looked too good to not try. I took it with me to a BBQ event and it definitely hit the spot.