Thanksgiving is coming up and one of the best recipes to have on hand is a good cornbread! This honey jalapeno cornbread recipe is easy, moist yet crumbly, and has great flavor. You will feel the slight heat but also the slight sweetness from the honey. It can be served as is or with a slather of room temperature butter. It is best eaten warm or even at room temperature.
Cornbread is one of those comfort food side dishes that goes well with so many meals. I love to serve it with my slow-braised short ribs or a nice juicy turkey in this month’s case. What I enjoy about this honey jalapeno cornbread is the elements of sweetness and heat. That flavor profile has always been a favorite of mine. I will say one piece of this is filling; you really feel like you are eating bread even though it may not necessarily look like it!
I’ll be honest, our thanksgiving meals often were a mix of both American and Middle Eastern dishes. You would find the mashed potatoes and cornbread next to the tabouleh and grape leaves. The cornbread was typically made out of box mix. No one was really making fresh cornbread from scratch same goes for the stuffing and gravy. So, it was important to me to create a cornbread recipe that was approachable and delicious that can be served on anyone’s Thanksgiving table if they choose to do so!
Honey Jalapeno Cornbread
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter about 113 grams
- 15 oz Sweet Corn Kernels drained, use only the corn
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 Jalapeno Thinly sliced
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Yellow cornmeal
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/3 cup Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small pot, melt the butter and add the corn to it. Cook together for a few minutes until it starts to simmer then add in the jalapeno slices.
- Cook together until the corn appears lightly browned about 5 minutes.
- To a bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Mix together very well.
- In a blender, blend the corn and butter mixture together until a smooth. Then, add the eggs and milk to this liquid and blend again. There should be no chunks. Add that to the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Pour into an 8×8 baking pan prepped with cooking spray. You can add some chopped jalapeno bits on top to make it spicier or decorative.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes until cooked through. Take out and slather with honey all over the top. You can serve it with some more room temp butter if you like as well. Enjoy warm or room temperature.