Hello my lovely friends!
This is a recipe that I made for dinner last night and couldn’t wait to share with you all because it was just that good. Lemon and Garlic has got to be one of my favorite flavor combinations! Alone, either flavor can elevate a dish but together; it is a whole other level of greatness! Not to mention, the dish was completely prepared in one skillet. Definitely a bonus unless you just love to clean up, which I surely don’t. It is also quite simple and most of the ingredients if not all can already be found in your pantry. I hope you enjoy this lemon garlic chicken breast recipe as much my husband and I did.
Servings: 2 people
Total Time: approx. 30 minutes
2 large chicken breasts (* can use chicken thighs)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
1- 2 lemons
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 chopped garlic cloves
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1/3 a cup of water
- Take the 2 large chicken breasts and cut horizontally as if butterflying the chicken but rather than butterfly you will cut it completely into two. So, 1 chicken breast will now be 2 thin slices of chicken breast. Do this for both pieces of chicken. Then you want to take your meat tenderizer hammer and beat the meat on both sides till evenly thin (Don’t over do it).
- In a cast iron skillet, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil till it has coated the surface of the skillet and place on medium heat on stove. Add all the chopped garlic cloves. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, then use a nonstick oven safe pan instead. Cast iron skillet will allow for a nicer crust and more flavor.
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper, drizzle of olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning then place on the hot cast iron. It should definitely sizzle once it hits the pan; this is how you will achieve that deep golden crust & flavor. Add 1 lemon’s juice on top of the chicken while it is in the pan.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook your chicken in the skillet about 3-4 minutes on each side then place in the preheated oven for another 5 -8 minutes. To ensure it is done, cut into the meaty part of the chicken breast and make sure it is white throughout. If still pink, allow to cook for several more minutes.
- Once chicken is removed from the skillet, you will use the juices left over in the pan to make the sauce. To the skillet, add another 1/2 of a lemon’s juice; add the remainder of the olive oil, add the minced garlic, add the water and cornstarch as well and stir all together. Also, add a pinch of salt & pepper to the sauce. Cook for another 2 minutes over low to medium heat on the stove.
- As garnish, take your other 1/2 of lemon and slice very thinly and place on top of chicken. The fresh zest tastes amazing with the chicken and sauce.