I can’t help but bake during the holiday season! I mean, I always loved baking but something about making fresh cakes and cookies this time of year is extra special. It reminds me so much of my days working at the bakery where I have some of my fondest memories. Now, if you didn’t know, olive oil is a staple ingredient in any Middle Eastern home. It is literally our liquid gold. Ever thought of olive oil in a sweet treat? Trust me, it works! You will see when you try this citrus olive oil cake. It adds such a fragrant and moist flavor to this baked treat.
What Citrus and Olive oil to use?
As you know, there are so many types of citrus and so many types of olive oil! For this citrus olive oil cake, stick to fresh orange and lemon juice along with their zests. They go so well together and make for a super refreshing bite. The olive oil I used was Filippo Berio’s Extra Light Olive oil as it is perfect for baking since it is subtle in taste. Filippo Berio is one of the most readily available olive oils in supermarkets and some of the best you will taste. I use them almost daily in my cooking and now in my baking. They have a line of olive oil for various needs and none of them have ever disappointed! Definitely check them out and give it a try!
I added toasted slivered almonds to this cake to give it a little texture and some extra flavor. The combo works together so well that I highly recommend you add the almonds unless of course, you have a nut allergy. Toasting the almonds boosts the flavor and crunch so do that!
For decoration and that cozy holiday feel, I shaped the citrus slices like a wreath and added some baby’s breath for a whimsical feel and look. The powdered sugar which is always majestic adds such a nice tough and a little extra sweetness to the bite. I really hope you give this cake a try especially if you prefer light refreshing cakes. Let me know what you think below when you do!
Other cakes you should try:
This post is sponsored by Filippo Berio. All ideas are however my own.
Citrus Olive Oil Cake
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vanilla flavoring
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup Fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Toasted slivered almonds
- Powdered sugar
- Thin Orange and lemon slices
- First, cream together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar for 5 minutes using a paddle attachment or whip using a kitchen utensil. The mixture should be a creamy pale yellow color after doing so.
- Next, add in the zest of the lemon and orange. Mix into the batter.
- After that, mix together the lemon juice, ornage juice, and olive oil. I put them in a liquid measuring cup. Then, slowly pour into the batter as you mix.
- Once all the wet ingredients are mixed, start adding the flour, salt, and baking powder into the mix until creamy and well incorporated.
- Lastly, fold the toasted slivered almonds into the batter.
- Pour this cake batter in a 8 inch springform baking pan that has been oiled and in addition you can add a layer of parchment paper to ensure nothing sticks.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool to room temperature befoe topping off with powdered sugar and citrus slices for decor!