This Ouzi rice is a quick weeknight meal spin on a classic Arab dish known to have peas, carrots, lamb, or beef with well-seasoned rice. There are several variations to ouzi such as those in pastry parcels or the more traditional one with pieces of lamb. Growing up, I have always enjoyed the most traditional rendition, a classic with the most tender lamb. It’s the ouzi my mom made for guests, especially during Ramadan; we all just loved it. This ouzi rice is a shortcut to that meal yet just as delicious. It still has those warm flavors, the peas, and carrots, and in this case, minced meat.
How to make Ouzi rice with ground beef:
There are three major yet simple steps into making this comforting meal in just 30 minutes, might I add.
- Sauteeing the peas and carrots in a bit of ghee while also serving the ground beef with warm spices.
- Then, toss the rinsed rice with the veggies, add stock, let this simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, toss in some of the beef and top it off with some, followed by toasted almonds.
It is truly that simple to make, yet you will have layers of flavor and texture. I love enjoying this meal with my cucumber yogurt salad and/or Arabic salad. It makes it a complete and wholesome dish that I know I can whip up any day of the week on short notice.
If you give this a try, send me a remake on my Instagram for a chance to get featured. And as always, I love to hear your feedback below!
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee or olive oil
- 1 cup Frozen Peas and carrots, lightly thawed feel free to add more if you like
- 1 cup Basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock Beef stock works well too
- 1 Bouillion cube, crushed
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee or Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds Pine nuts
- To start, add ground beef to a pan on medium heat and season with salt, pepper, allspice, and garlic powder. Break the meat apart into smaller pieces and let this cook for 5-8 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the meat is cooking, add ghee to a pot along with the peas and carrots. Season this with salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes until they begin to tenderize.
- To the peas and carrots, add the rice, stock, bouillion, and cinnamon. Give it a stir and let it simmer on low to medium heat for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked through and water has evaporated. Fluff the rice gently with a fork.
- Add half of the cooked ground beef to the rice mixture and stir together. Plate the rice and top with the rest of the ground beef on top. Then, top with the toasted slivered almonds as garnish and an element of crunch.
- You can serve this delicious meal with yogurt and even jazz it up with cucumbers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic and mint or a salad!