Ouzi is a classic Arab meal that is known to have peas, carrots, lamb, or beef in a seasoned rice. There are several variations to ouzi that are truly spectacular. I have always enjoyed the most traditional rendition growing up as it’s a classic with the most tender lamb. It’s the ouzi my mom made for guests especially in Ramadan and we all just loved it. This ouzi rice is a shortcut of that meal yet just as delicious. It still has those warm flavors, the peas and carrots, and in this case; minced meat. Lastly, you can find ouzi stuffed into puff pastry parcels as a fun and innovative way to enjoy them. All are fantastic!
How to make Ouzi rice?
There are 3 major yet simple steps into making this comforting meal in just 30 minutes might I add.
- Sauteeing the peas and carrots in a little bit of ghee while also sauteeing the ground beef with its warm spices.
- Then, toss the rinsed rice with the veggies, add stock, and let this simmer and cook for just about 20 minutes.
- Finally, toss in some of the beef and top it off with some as well followed by toasted almonds.
It is truly that simple to make yet you will have layers of flavor and texture. I absolutely love enjoying this meal with yogurt and Arabic salad. It makes it a complete and wholesome dish that I know I can whip up any day of the week on short notice.
If you give this a try, send me a remake on my Instagram for a chance to get featured. And as always, I love to hear your feedback below!
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Ghee or olive oil
- 1 cup Frozen Peas and carrots, lightly thawed feel free to add more if you like
- 1 cup Basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock Beef stock works well too
- 1 Bouillion cube, crushed
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp Ghee or Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds Pine nuts
- To start, add ground beef to a pan on medium heat and season with salt, pepper, allspice, and garlic powder. Break the meat apart into smaller pieces and let this cook for 5-8 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.
- While the meat is cooking, add ghee to a pot along with the peas and carrots. Season this with salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes until they begin to tenderize.
- To the peas and carrots, add the rice, stock, bouillion, and cinnamon. Give it a stir and let it simmer on low to medium heat for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked through and water has evaporated. Fluff the rice gently with a fork.
- Add half of the cooked ground beef to the rice mixture and stir together. Plate the rice and top with the rest of the ground beef on top. Then, top with the toasted slivered almonds as garnish and an element of crunch.
- You can serve this delicious meal with yogurt and even jazz it up with cucumbers, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic and mint or a salad!