Where it all Started:
I worked in an Italian bakery for 10 years where my true passion for desserts blossomed. Although, we didn’t serve panna cotta; I have always wanted to try it myself. Panna cotta is a delectable Italian custard-like dessert that comes together in just a few minutes. It is served chilled and often with a berry or chocolate sauce.
Hearthy Foods Halal Gelatin:
To make panna cotta with berry sauce, gelatin is required and it wasn’t until recently that I came across Halal certified unflavored gelatin by Hearthy foods. I was elated, to say the least, to try the Gelatin and I have come to love it. This Grass-Fed Bone broth protein is full of nutrients and sugar-free. It is perfect for making halal jello, Rice Krispies, marshmallows, custard, and so on. This panna cotta turned out beautifully using Hearthy Foods unflavored gelatin and I urge you all to try this recipe. It will most definitely wow you and your family. Maybe make it for that special someone in your life this Valentine’s Day!
Why Panna Cotta is a must make:
Panna cotta is also the perfect make-ahead dessert! It is ideal to be made the night before or at least 4 hours in advance and it can be served in ramekins, glassware, mason jars or even a regular pan. The toppings are endless too. You can do honey and pistachio or berry compote and nuts or even hot fudge.
Make this panna cotta with berry sauce even if you never heard of panna cotta. You will thank me! My husband and friends licked their plate clean which is always a good sign.
This post is sponsored by Hearthy Foods. All ideas are my own. Use code Fufu10 for 10% off your order.
- 1/3 cup Milk skim or whole will work. This recipe has not yet been tested on dairy-free milk.
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Unflavored Halal Gelatin from Hearthy Foods
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Orange Zest Use a grater to zest the peel of an orange
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Flavoring
- 1 cup Fresh blueberries Raspberries, blackberries or strawberries will work too
- 1 tbsp Fresh squeezed orange juice Use the same orange that was being zested
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- First, combine the milk with the gelatin. Stir together until gelatin is completely dissolved and set aside.
- In a small pot, add the heavy cream and sugar. Mix together until the sugar is dissolved over medium heat on the stovetop. Keep stirring until the cream starts to boil and rise to the top of the pot.
- At this point, add in the gelatin mixture which has solidified. Stir it into the creamy very well making sure it's all dissolved. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Take the pot off the stove and transfer it to the countertop. Add in the vanilla and orange zest. Mix that together.
- Let this mixture cool for a few minutes. In the meantime, gather the desired serving dishes. Glass cups, mason jars, and/or ramekins would be perfect.
- Pour the now room temperature mixture into the desired serving ware. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set. Make the berry sauce in the meantime.
- To make the berry sauce in the meantime, just mix together all the ingredients in a pot. Cook on medium heat on the stovetop for a few minutes until the berries begin to burst. Crush a few but leave some whole as well for texture. Set aside to cool room temp and thicken slightly. This can also be refrigerated.
Assembly of Panna Cotta
- After the chill period, either keep panna cotta in the same serving dishes and top with sauce and crushed nuts (optional) or flip the panna cotta over into the desired serving plate and garnish then.
- To do so, add the panna cotta ramekins to a baking pan and fill the edges around it with hot water. Allow it to sit in this for a few minutes. Then take the ramekins out and use a knife to go around the edges of the ramekin. Flip over the panna cotta on the desired plate and voila!
As always, I love hearing what you think! If you make this recipe, please share it with me on my social media platforms and leave a comment below!
And if panna cotta isn’t your cup of tea, then check out some of my most popular desserts by clicking below: