I realized as I was looking through the archives of recipes on my blog that I barely had any pasta recipes if any. I couldn’t believe it! Pasta never really comes to our minds when we think of healthy eating but this one is just right you guys. Pasta Primavera is loaded with roasted veggies and doesn’t have that white or red sauce which holds plenty of calories especially in sugar. Instead, you use wholesome ingredients like olive oil, garlic sauce and even the pasta cooking liquid. If you aren’t lactose intolerant or vegan, then the parmesan cheese will melt and add a nice creaminess too! This pasta is also very versatile. I recommend the zucchini, red bell peppers (because they are sweeter), and the onions but you can use whatever is available and in season around you. Also, to make it more hearty you can add chicken or ground beef. I hope you enjoy this easy weeknight meal.
16 oz. box of pasta of your choice (I used gluten-free penne)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 large zucchinis sliced
2 red bell peppers sliced
2 onions sliced
1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 a fresh lemon’s juice
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Protein of your choice (chicken, ground beef, fish) Optional
2 tbsp toum (garlic sauce) Optional* make or purchase from any Arabic or Greek restaurant
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Cook pasta to the instructions on the box. Make sure to salt the pasta water.
- In a baking pan, add all the prepped veggies except the parsley with the olive oil, salt, pepper, dried Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Mix together well. Scatter on the pan trying to avoid them touching. If you need to use two pans, do so.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes till veggies are cooked through.
- Drain Pasta once cooked but keep about 2-3 tbsp of its cooking liquid in the pot.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Add the parsley to it. Add garlic sauce if you have it. Also, add 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once veggies are cooked, add all the roasted veggies to the pasta as well. Most of the flavor for the pasta will come from these delicious roasted veggies. Squeeze with 1/2 a lemon’s juice and top with the parmesan.
- If you cooked a protein as well, add it at this point. I personally like it as is but my husband wanted some ground beef! I think chicken would be a great additional protein though. Mix everything together gently.
- Serve and Enjoy!