Pistachio Ghoraybeh Thumbprint Cookies (Middle Eastern Shortbread)
Hi friends! Hope you are all well. I’m super excited to share this Middle Eastern American hybrid of a cookie.
This is one of the prettiest cookies to make in no time at all. It couldn’t be more simple to do too! It takes 5 ingredients and just a few steps to create absolute deliciousness! My mom loves to bake and she would often make ghoraybeh, which is a Middle Eastern shortbread. Often, it is just topped with one pistachio for decoration. I decided to incorporate crushed toasted pistachios into the cookie itself to really bring out the flavor of pistachio which I have been recently loving! I took another step by modernizing this cookie into something we all know which are thumbprint cookies! I filled the indents with some yummy jam; which you can buy or easily make your own.
This is a cookie I am sure you will make because it is so easy and you will definitely love it because Why not?? 🙂
1/3 cup toasted crushed pistachios
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
Raspberry jam/spread -or make your own Homemade Berry Jam
Melted white chocolate (optional)
- Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Stir with a rubber spatula.
- Add in the flour, 1 cup at a time to the sugar butter mixture. Mix together. Add in the toasted pistachios. *To toast my pistachios, I added them into a pan and toasted them on medium heat for a few minutes till lightly browning.
- Mix everything with floured hands so it doesn’t stick to your hands much. Form the dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Place dough in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make 1 tbsp sized balls with the palm of your hands and place on the lined pan. You can make about 15-20 with this cookie dough.
- Once that is done, using your thumb make an indent in the center of the cookie.
- Add abut 1/4 tsp of jam into each indent.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Cookie should be lightly browned on bottom but still light on top. Take out and completely cool.
- Drizzle with white chocolate and top with crushed toasted pistachios for garnish.
Hands down the best Ghoraybeh cookie I have ever tasted. The recipe was so simple and easy to follow. The addition of the white chocolate drizzle was a genius idea, it added a perfect finishing touch. Definitely making these again. Absolutely delicious!!
These were soo easy to make! The recipe and directions super easy to follow. Extremely delicious, and were a big hit with my guests!
I am thrilled you enjoy them Ahlam and that they were a crowd-pleaser :
This is such an easy recipe to make, one of my favorite ! It was the first recipe I try from all of fufu’s recipes ,
Mashallah she’s amazing love all her recipes! Been following her for so long on her instagram page!
These are my fav cookies to make Espc during Ramadan! 4th year I make these and My husband loves them and can’t stop eating them! So light and addicting def recommend!!
You always nail these cookies, Feda!
Just made this recipe for some eid goodies and it was so easy and delicious! Love the variation with pistachios and jam thanks for sharing!
Love that idea! Glad you liked them’1
I made these for a party and everyone was so impressed! They melt in your mouth and the toasted pistachios are the perfect touch for crunch and flavor! Highly recommend. Super easy to make too