When I was in high school, I would often purchase popcorn chicken at lunch time. There was something addicting about that crispy outside and juicy inside that won me over. I haven’t had popcorn chicken since then! Mainly because I thought the only way to enjoy it would have to be fried but no, I was wrong. I baked these till crisp and tender on the inside. I also made these gluten free by using Snyder’s gluten free pretzels as the crust. I also bought my favorite flavor which is honey mustard and onion. C’mon who doesn’t love that? Instead of all purpose flour; I used tapioca flour to substitute. If you do not follow a gluten free diet, you can easily use regular pretzels and all purpose flour instead! This is an easy appetizer for you and your kiddos. Everyone will enjoy them. They will be gone as soon as they hit the table. If you enjoy these, then you will absolutely love my Cajun Chicken Tender recipe which is also oven baked!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups finely crushed Gluten Free Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Sticks (Any pretzels will work if not GF)
1/2 cup tapioca flour (can use all purpose flour if not GF)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
Olive oil spray or non stick
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Tenderize the chicken breasts by pounding it with a meat tenderizer. Cut the chicken into 1.5 inch cubes. Season the chicken generously with the salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.
- Finely crush the pretzels in either a processor or in a zip lock bag with a mallet.
- Arrange 3 medium bowls. In one, place the tapioca flour with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. In the second, add the 2 beaten eggs. In the 3rd, add the finely crushed pretzels.
- First coat the chicken in the flour and shake any excess then dip in the egg and also shake off any extra egg wash. After that, dip in the pretzels well.
- Place the prepared chicken on the lined baking sheet. Spray them lightly with olive oil spray.
- Place in the oven to bake for 8 minutes on one side then turn and bake on the other side for another 10 minutes. Make sure chicken is cooked through. The outside should be crisp and the inside will be juicy.
- Serve with any dipping sauce and enjoy!