Hey friends! I hope you are all doing well. Today, I will be sharing with you a delicious refreshing chicken salad recipe. I have had 3 chicken breasts staring at me in the fridge for the last 2 days. It has been months since I made chicken salad and thought it would be a great idea for lunch throughout the week. I find most chicken salads to be very heavy but this one is lighter and perfect for those who are dairy and gluten intolerant and/or following the keto diet. What I love about this salad is that it tastes even better the next day when it’s chilled and the flavors have had a chance to marinate with one another.
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: approx. 3-4 cups of chicken salad
3 large chicken breasts
2 Bay leaves
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp cumin
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 an onion quartered
3 garlic cloves
- Place all the ingredients in one large pot. Use just enough water to cover the chicken completely. Turn heat to high, bring to boil and remove the foam from the surface. Then let this simmer for 30 minutes on low to medium heat. By then, the chicken should be tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth to a cutting board and start shredding it with either 2 forks or your hands. Of course, do this when the chicken is cool enough to handle.
- Add 1/2 a cup of the broth to the chicken to keep it moist.
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp spicy brown mustard (or mustard of choice)
1 lemon’s juice
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
Salt & pepper to taste (generously)
- Mix everything together in a bowl till creamy and smooth.
1 charred sweet corn kernels off the cob or 1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped dill
1/4 cup chopped cilantro and/or parsley
1 red onion finely chopped or scallions
1 cucumber finely chopped (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery or carrots
1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Place all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the almonds last.
- Add the shredded chicken then the sauce. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Drizzle the salad with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix together and enjoy !