Anyone else a huge fan of eggplant?? I absolutely love it. It started with my love for baba ghanoush and manifested into using eggplant in so many other dishes. Here is the perfect example of a deliciously easy side dish where eggplant is the star. I make this for weeknight dinners as a side and my hubby loves it. Several of you have been asking for more meatless recipes and this is an amazing one which happens to be vegan as well.
Total Time: approx. 35 minutes
2 medium eggplants sliced into batons
1 red onion finely sliced
1 yellow onion finely sliced
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pine nuts, and almonds work best)
3 tbsp date syrup
1/2 cup veggie stock
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the eggplants into 2-inch sticks and drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes till eggplants are cooked through.
- In the meantime, add olive oil to a nonstick skillet pan on medium heat. Add the sliced onions and begin to cook till almost caramelized. Should take at least 10 minutes, stir regularly. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the date syrup to the sauce and season well with salt and pepper. Add the nuts of choice at this point and allow them to cook to toast a bit. After 2-3 minutes, add the vegetable stock and cook for an additional 5 minutes before adding the cooked eggplant. Mix together gently and garnish with cilantro/parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- This would be delicious on a baguette and served as an appetizer. Also the perfect side with rice!