This is the beverage my mom would for our family on cold winter nights! It gives you all the cozy feels and takes just a few minutes to make. Sahlab is a Middle Eastern milk pudding drink that is often adorned with cinnamon, nuts, and other fixings of your choice. It is creamy, lightly sweetened, and fills you with warmth.
Whenever I make this drink, I can’t help but think of my family and this time of year. It is honestly the only time we enjoyed it since it is perfect for cooler months. What is awesome about sahlab is it can easily be vegan too. I have made it many times with almond milk rather than whole milk and it works just fine! It is also super flexible as you can add more or less sugar depending on the sweetness level you prefer. The toppings are completely up to you as well but the most traditional and almost always included is cinnamon and nuts. I cannot imagine sahlab without!
I used Spice Tribe’s Cinnamon for this recipe in both the drink and as a topping. The aroma and color of their cinnamon are unlike any other. Their cinnamon blend originates from Indonesia and just offers a phenomenal flavor like many of their spices that I have enjoyed. Feel free to use my code Fufuskitchen10 at checkout if you are interested in trying them out! They have so many different spices to offer that have no additives, fillers, or preservatives.
I hope you enjoy this sahlab recipe as much as I do this time of year! As always, let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 4 cups Milk of choice whole milk tastes best but almond milk works great too for a vegan substitute
- 4 tbsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of cinnamon optional
- Sprinkle of Spice Tribe Ground cinnamon
- Crushed Pistachios or Walnuts
- Coconut Flakes
- In a pot, add the milk, sugar, and corn starch. Mix together very well until there are no lumps.
- Place the pot over medium high heat and add the vanilla. Stir this mixture consistently until it starts to boil. This may take up to 15-20 min. Then, stir 2-3 minutes after boiling. It is important not to leave the stovetop or milk can burn easily.
- Then, ladle the mixture which should be lightly thickened and creamy into the desired glasses. Top off with garnishes and enjoy warm.
- You can place this in the fridge as well to enjoy cool. It will thicken more and be custard like!