I cannot count the number of times I had this salad on my recent trip to NJ. I have always enjoyed Salatat Jarjeer as I am a big fan of textures, acidity, and arugula in general. I however almost forgot about this salad until recently when almost every household I visited in NJ made this salad to accompany dinner. That is when I knew I had to make this when I got back and share it with you guys. It is just so simple but so good especially if you love a strong citrus flavor as I do. It pairs well with seafood especially but just as good with anything else. It is definitely worth a try!
Salatat Jarjeer (Middle Eastern Arugula Salad)
- 4 cups Fresh Arugula or 2 large handfuls
- 1/3 cup Roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 A medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Fresh Lemon's Juice
- 1 tbsp Sumac
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- First, combine the thinly sliced red onions with the sumac, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt & pepper. Mix and let it sit together for 5 min.
- Then, combine the arugula with the walnuts.
- Add the onion mixture to the arugula and walnuts and stir together. Season with salt & a dash of pepper.
- Taste and see if it needs any more acidity. Enjoy alongside any protein or meal!