Good morning lovely friends! Today, I present to you Sfeeha. These Middle Eastern Meat pies are to die for any time of the day. My husband is a big fan of making dough. He is an even bigger fan of eating red meat. So, you can say that this is right up his alley. I have been meaning to make meat pies for a while now; I haven’t made these in 2 years! Yesterday, the weather was gloomy and snowing in Chicago and made for the perfect day to stay in and bake with my husband.
I added the easy dough recipe below which is delicious for pizza nights too! This dough bakes super fluffy and melts in your mouth. It is great for stuffing ingredients or a flat-faced pie. The meat recipe for the sfeeha is below that. Combine the two and you have a killer savory meat pie.
Can’t wait to see what you make these and enjoy them with your family!
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 cups Water, lukewarm
- 1 packet Fast Rising Yeast about 2-3 tsp
- 2 tbsp Dried Milk Powder
- This recipe can either be done by hand or using the dough handle for the Kitchenaid.
- First, mix together in the desired bowl the yeast, sugar, salt, milk powder, lukewarm water, and 2 cups flour until well combined.
- Cover with a towel and allow this to rest for 15 minutes.
- Then, add the olive oil and the remaining 3 cups of flour to the dough. It may be easier to do so one cup at a time. Use either dough hook or hands to bring this together.
- If the dough is too sticky at this point, add a pinch of flour to work with it.
- Shape it like a big ball and cover it with a towel for 1 hour.
- Divide it into smaller balls (around 25) for meat, spinach, za'atar, and cheese pies and rest for another 45 minutes covered with a towel preferably in a warm area. If using for pizza dough, just divide dough in half for 2 large pies.
- When ready to bake the desired pie, place in a 350 F oven for about 20 minutes for the savory pies and around 25-30 minutes for a large pizza. Keep an eye on it after 20 minutes.
Sfeeha (Middle Eastern Meat Pies)
- 1 lb Ground Beef You can also use ground lamb or mix the two.
- 1 tsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 tsp Tahini (optional)
- 1 tbsp Seven Spice
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 packet of Ziyad Brand Liyye Seasoning This gives a smoky lamb flavor. If you are using lamb, it is not necessary. In general, this is optional but adds a great depth of flavor.
- 1 tsp Chili paste and/or Tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Salsa Mixture for the meat
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 1 cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Process the ingredients for the salsa in a food processor. Drain the veggie mixture from its excess liquid.
- Add all the ingredients for the meat and 4-5 tbsp of the salsa mix to the meat and mix together very well.
Assembly & Cook time
- Once the dough is ready, flatten out the ball sized dough into what looks like a thin pita shape. Top it off with a spoonful of the meat mixture and spread that around the center but leaving 1 inch around the edges. Repeat this step with all the dough.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 20-25 minutes until browned at the bottom and broil for another 1 minute to brown the top.