Hi, my friends!
I am so excited to share with you this super simple salad recipe as it is one of my favorites. I first knew about Shepherd’s salad a few years ago while I was eating at one of my favorite Turkish spots in NJ, not far from where I grew up. I was sold when I realized the salad had feta which is one of my go-to cheeses. Don’t get me wrong, this salad would still be delicious without the feta so if you are vegan or dairy intolerant; just omit it.
Recently, I visited my family in NJ over winter break. It is now our tradition to stop by Toros whenever I am in town as I always crave their amazing food especially the appetizers. I actually recreated one of their eggplant tomato dips; patlican soslu; feel free to check that out too! It amazes me how Chicago, which is so multicultural and one of the best foodie cities doesn’t have great Turkish food. At least, none that I have discovered yet. Please comment if you know of any!
Of course, on my visit; I gobbled down this salad and made note that I needed to recreate it once I returned. The other night, I made a Mediterranean plate of food for dinner. It had chicken tawook with some hummus and this fantastic shepherd’s salad. It was so flavorful and might I mention; very healthy!
I cannot wait for you guys to try this delicious salad. It will go great as a side dish or even fantastic in sandwiches or as a base for some protein on top. Enjoy friends!
- 1 large Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Persian Cucumbers. finely chopped
- 1/2 A bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 Of a Red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Dill, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup Olives, chopped Black or green olives
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika or Aleppo pepper seasoning for heat
- 1 tsp Dried Mint
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 A large Lemon's juice
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- Mix together all the vegetables and feta. Season with the sumac, dried mint, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- For the dressing, mix together the crushed garlic with the olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle with some salt.
- Top the salad with the entire dressing. Stir all together. Enjoy! Best served cold.