Move over pineapple upside-down cake, you got some competition! I would choose this sticky apple upside-down cake any day of the week. It’s decadent but not too sweet; it’s full of apple flavor & gluten-free thanks to Hearthy Foods Apple Flour. We all know the best part of an upside-down cake is that gooey bottom. This super simple caramel sauce seeps into the cake and creates a pudding-like moist cake while still caramelizing the bottom too. That is where the sticky component comes through and it is pure perfection.
Hearthy Foods Apple Flour
The versatility of Hearthy 100% Apple Flour is nothing short of amazing. If you have not tasted fresh apple flour before, you don’t know what you are missing. They take raw Washington state apples and manufacture them fresh. It is full of natural sweetness without any processed sugar and certified Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free. As soon as you open the package of flour, you get a whiff of Apple aroma that is addictive. This flour has so many applications whether in a muffin, cake, waffles, pancakes, shakes or pie.
Do yourself a favor and make this. I made it for friends and they asked for seconds. That is always a good sign! It’s simple, rich, not overly sweet, and the perfect apple dessert to impress your guests.
This post is sponsored by Hearthy Foods. All ideas are my own. Use code Fufu10 for 10% off your next order.
Sticky Apple Upside Down Cake
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavor Trader Joe's brand is alcohol free
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon mixed with a pinch of ground clove and nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Chopped nuts walnuts, pecans, or slivered almonds
- 1 3/4 cup Apple Flour Hearthy Foods Brand
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon nutmeg mixture
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk of choice I used Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- For the apples, cut them either into thin wedges or in thin slices vertically. This is totally up to you. I cut mine into vertical thin slices. These will be used to line the bottom of the baking pan.
- For the caramel sauce, add all the components to a small pot. Mix and melt the ingredients together. Stir for 2-4 minutes until slightly thickened. Once the caramel starts to bubble and thicken then it is ready to be transferred to the baking pan.
- For this recipe, you will need either an 8 or 9-inch baking pan and preferably springform, but any will do. Grease the pan with butter or cooking spray.
- To the bottom of the pan, add a layer of aluminum foil in case of leakage from the caramel.
- Pour the caramel onto the baking pan making sure to spread it throughout the entire surface.
- Layer the apple slices on top of the caramel next to one another. Then, add the crushed nuts in between the apple slices on top of the caramel.
- Sprinkle this with more of that cinnamon nutmeg mixture.
- First, cream together the sugars and butter with the paddle attachment or a rubber spatula.
- Then, add the vanilla and eggs and mix together.
- Then, add the milk and mix.
- Next, Hearthy Foods Apple Flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Spread the batter on top of the apples and caramel until even throughout.
- I recommend placing the baking pan on top of a bigger baking pan so it is easier to maneuver and as an extra precaution.
- Bake the cake in a 350 F oven for roughly 1 hour.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing out of the pan and flipping onto a plate.
- Enjoy as is or with a scoop of vanilla icecream!
As always, I would love to hear what you think once you make this cake! If you make this recipe, please share it with me on my social media.
To my apple lovers out there, give my fluffy cinnamon apple cake a try too!