Tender Shredded Chicken 2 ways: Healthy Chicken Salad & Chicken Soup
Hi everyone!! Hope you are all well. I’ve been looking forward to sharing this multi use recipe all week!
No slow cooker needed to make this delicious tender shredded chicken. All you need is one large pot and just several other ingredients that you will most likely have in your pantry. Shredded chicken can be used in so many recipes; whether for enchiladas, soup, tacos or salad. I’m going to share with you two simple recipes that are not just healthy but super flavorful too!
I’ll be honest; I always disliked chicken salad. The several times that I have eaten chicken salad; it was always dry; lacked flavor and just unappetizing to say the least. I knew I had to come up with my own version that was healthy and enjoyable to eat. Now soup on the other hand; I have always enjoyed. This past week I was sick with a cold and homemade warm chicken soup always does the trick.
How to make the shredded chicken:
4 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
1 Bay Leaf
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
Salt & Pepper To taste
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
4 garlic cloves
1/2 an onion sliced (red or yellow)
- Place all the ingredients in one large pot. Use just enough water to cover the chicken completely. Turn heat to high, bring to boil and remove the foam from the surface. Then let this simmer for 30 minutes on low to medium heat. By then, chicken should be tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth to a cutting board and start shredding it with either 2 forks or your hands. Of course, do this when the chicken is cool enough to handle.
- Add 1/2 a cup of the broth to the chicken to keep it moist.
1 sliced green onion
1/4 of a fresh lemon
3 thinly slices pieces of jalapeno
- Ladle broth into a bowl and add some of the shredded chicken. Then add the onion, lemon, and jalapeno while soup is hot so it absorbs the flavor. Let that sit for 2-4 minutes then enjoy 🙂
2 tablespoons Tahini
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 a cup of cilantro
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of water
1 diced pitted avocado
1 lemon’s juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cumin
- Combine all the above ingredients into a processor and pulse for about 1 minute. The result should be a creamy green sauce. Coat the shredded chicken with this sauce and add diced carrots and scallions for some crunch into the chicken salad as well. Enjoy 🙂
- Two recipes using one pot! How awesome? So healthy too! Just look at the ingredients you are using; most are either vegetables or herbs & spices!
If you create my recipes please tag me with #fufuinthekitchen
I would love to see 🙂
Below are some great cookware sets: