Vegan Mango Coconut Mousse
This simple vegan mango coconut mousse comes together with just three ingredients and is then elevated by a candied pistachio crumble over the top. It is super refreshing and creamy, the perfect summer weather mango dessert. Best of all, it takes just 15 min to make and is gelatin-free! The rest is chill time, an effortless treat indeed.
Why try this vegan mango coconut mousse?
Mangoes are one of my favorite tropical fruits in the summer. They are versatile, juicy, sweet, and fresh. This is your recipe if you have beautiful ripe mangoes and want to enjoy them differently. All you have to do is puree three large ripe mangoes in a food processor and mix in coconut milk and some sweetener. You whip these together and place them in serving dishes to chill overnight. It is that easy- a fantastic treat for days to come. The pistachio crumble ties it together to add another flavor profile and texture!
Ingredients needed for Mango Coconut Mousse recipe:
Mangoes: This is the star ingredient of this dish, and it is important to pick great quality mangoes that are in season. The mangoes must be ripe, juicy, and sweet. Of course, it is difficult to know if a mango is sweet when you first purchase it, but that is why agave nectar or honey (for non-vegans) is also introduced in this recipe. The amount of sweetener in the dessert depends on the natural sweetness of the mango.
Unsweetened Full-Fat Coconut Milk– To achieve the creamy consistency of this vegan mango coconut mousse, you need this ingredient to give it that body. I highly recommend full fat as well as the Thai Kitchen brand. I have the best results with this brand for this dessert.
Sweetener- To keep this recipe vegan, I recommend agave nectar, a sweetener that can be swapped with equal parts of honey if you are not vegan. In the recipe, I recommend 1/4 cup, but you can start at 2 tbsp and taste from there because this is dependent on the natural sweetness of the mangoes first.
Pistachios– Al though the topping is optional and a new addition to this recipe that I have been making for years now; it elevates the dish. The pistachios add gorgeous color, flavor, and texture, adding jazz to the mango mousse.
How to make Vegan Mango Coconut Mousse:
- First, peel 4 mangoes. One will be reserved for topping or layering the mango mousse, and the other three will be pureed for the mousse.
- The one for layering/topping is cut into small dices and set aside. The other mangoes can be cut into larger pieces as they will be put in the processor to puree.
- Add the cut mangoes to a food processor and puree for about 30 seconds until it resembles a puree.
- Add a full can of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk to the puree as well as the sweetener of choice. Fold this together gently until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place the mousse in desired serving cups or ramekins to chill. My recommendation is to add a 2-inch layer of mousse, then top it with the fresh mango dices and follow with more mousse. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
Commonly Asked Questions:
- How well does this mango mousse store? This recipe keeps well covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Letting it chill overnight initially is highly recommended so the flavors are more developed and the mousse has been set properly.
- Can this vegan mango mousse be made without coconut milk? No, you need the canned coconut milk to give it body and help it set, plus add the creaminess to the mousse. It would not work without it, especially since this recipe has no gelatin.
- Will any coconut milk work? No, you cannot use coconut milk stored in the fridge to be sold by almond milk, oat milk, etc. You need canned coconut milk for this mango mousse recipe. It has much more creaminess and a thicker consistency which is needed here. As pictured above, I recommend the Thai Kitchen brand, which is sold everywhere.
Check out these related recipes:
If you are a fan of no-bake desserts like this vegan mango coconut dessert, then be sure to check these other recipes out to enjoy all summer long: Nescafe cake, Lotus cake, Panna cotta with berries, layali lebnan (semolina pudding)
Please Rate & Review Below
I cannot wait for you to try this easy vegan mango dessert! If you try my recipes, please consider leaving a star rating and/ or review in the comment section below. I love hearing from you. Feel free to leave any questions or comments below as well. You can share your remakes with me on my Instagram!
Vegan Mango Coconut Mousse
- 3 Mangoes, ripe, peeled, and cut about 450 grams in total
- 13.6 oz Coconut Milk, Unsweetened, Full-Fat I always use the Thai Kitchen brand
- 1/4 cup Agava Nectar *Use honey if you are not vegan. Also, start with 2 tbsp and add more. Some mangoes are sweeter than others and you can adjust sweetness.
- 1/2 cup Pistachios
- 1 tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Mango, ripe, peeled and diced
- In a food processor, add all the cut mango pieces for the mousse. Pulse for 45 seconds until it becomes puree like.
- To this, add the entire can of full fat coconut milk and agave nectar or honey.
- Fold until well combined.
- Pour the mousse into individual serving cups. I like to add fresh diced mango in between two layers of mousse. Cover this and refrigerate overnight to set and develop its flavor.
- To make the pistachio topping, melt the butter with the sugar in a pan and add the pistachios. Stir together until well-coated. Let this toast on low heat for a few minutes before pouring it onto a clean surface. Allow the pistachios to cool then give them a fine chop.
- Before serving, top the mango coconut mousse with the pistachio crumble and dices of fresh mango. Enjoy cool!
- The mousse should be creamy and the perfect combination of mango and coconut. The pistachios add a beautiful contrast in color and texture, while the diced mango adds freshness. It is a delight!
Best vegan dessert ever. The whole family loved it including the little ones. Will be making again soon IA
That is awesome to hear!
This is AMAZING. I couldn’t believe how easy this recipe came together, even without the delicious pistachio topping it was so good!
I was skeptical that something so simple could taste so delicious. I used honey and it was perfect! I took it to a gathering in mini cups and they loved it.
Love it so easy to make and so yummy!! Thank you 😊