Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well and enjoying your summer. Today, I have wanted to share with you the recipe for this yummy treat for over a year now. And I must say that they are always a crowd-pleaser! Not only are these Za’atar knots visually appealing but the taste is just as good with only 3 ingredients being used! Wow, right? Za’atar has been truly a game-changer to anything it touches. In my youtube video below, I demonstrate how to make two different designs using the same method for these knots. This skillset can be utilized using dough in many ways and will surely elevate the presentation right away!
What is Za’atar?
If you don’t know, Za’atar is a spice blend or seasoning blend of several herbs like thyme, oregano, sumac, and sesame seeds. There are different blends of za’atar but I never had one that I didn’t enjoy. Whatever you have will work for this recipe. It is often used in Middle Eastern cuisine for its beautiful flavor, aroma, and look. This ingredient is often used in dough’s, as a dip with olive oil, in marinades, dressings, and much more. It is definitely a versatile blend that everyone should have in their pantry! You can readily find it in Middle Eastern or international markets. Some large consumers carry it as well or you can find some online.
I am positive you will love these Za’atar knots. They are so easy to make and so beautiful! It will surely impress your family and guests. They are perfect on a brunch or grazing board. They are great with a cup of tea for breakfast or even an accompaniment to some cheese and eggs. Give these a try and let me know what you think below!! Excited to hear from you guys!
Here are more Za’atar influenced recipes:
- 2 Crescent Rolls packages (8 oz each)
- 1 cup Za'atar blend of your choice
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Fine Crumbled Feta or Cream cheese optional
- First, open the package of crescent rolls. There should be 8 crescent roll doughs.
- Every 2 crescent roll doughs, flatten to make it one rectangular sheet. Flatten even more with a rolling pin but not too thin.
- Brush with olive oil then sprinkle with about 2 tbsp of za'atar. Spread that around the surface. If you were adding cream cheese, skip the olive oil step. Instead smear some cream cheese and add the za'atar on top of that. If you are adding feta, then add the olive oil and zaatar then the crumbled feta on top.
- Start rolling the dough from its longest side to create a log shape. Make sure the seams are all meshed together. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the log in half veritcally.
- At this point, you are left with 2 halves. Have the filling facing the outside for both halves. Then shape it like a braid. One half over the other. Let both ends meat to create a crown appearance or fold the braid inwards to create a flower/knot appearance.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 12 minutes. Enjoy warm or room temperature.
Super easy to make! Great way to get your kids to help out too!
This is going to be a staple in my household from now on! It was so delicious and easy to make! Also turned out beautiful!
my family and I loved these !! they were so delicious😋 definitely recommend making these!
SO EASY AND DELICIOUS ! My 3 year old loves the kitchen , so we made this recipe as an activity together. Luckily I already had these cans handy in the fridge ! Only took a few minutes to put together.
Super simple to make and they look so fancy!
I tried this recipe a couple days ago and loved it! So easy yet so delicious! I will try making it again but with homemade dough! Thanks for sharing this great recipe, Heifa!
These are absolute perfection. The only problem is they are very addicting, so be warned! Very very simple to make, and ingredients very accessible!