All you need is 8 ingredients and a few minutes of your time to make this easy homemade Mac and cheese. When I think of comfort food; this is the dish that comes to mind. Nothing beats creamy cheesy goodness with perfectly cooked pasta. It is one meal that will always bring you joy. It makes for a crowd-pleasing side dish at any potluck especially next to turkey on a Thanksgiving table. Both kids and adults alike love this mac and cheese!
I have had my share of Mac and cheese and this recipe is at the top. You get creamy, cheesy, and crunch all in one bite. What more can you ask for?
Try this easy homemade Mac and cheese for yourself! If you make any of my recipes, please tag me on Instagram and be sure to follow along with all my social media for even more content!
Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese
- 16 oz Elbow Pasta cooked, al dente according to package instructions
- 3 cups Sharp Chedder grated fresh
- 3 cups Smoked Gouda grated fresh
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy cream You can also use Half N' half
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Spicy Mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- In a large pot, add the butter and flour. Stir until this turns into light brown color and thick just like a roux.
- To this, add the milk and cream. Keep stirring for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Once this mixture starts boiling, start adding in the cheeses.
- Add 1 cup at a time. Leave about 1 cup to coat the top of the pasta before baking. Stir until creamy in consistency. Add the mustard, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- To this, add the cooked pasta and mix it all together.
- In a 9 x 13 baking pan which has been buttered, add the pasta mixture then top it off with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for about 20 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Enjoy warm!
What goes best with Mac and Cheese?
Fried Chicken (ultimate comfort meal) Check out my oven-baked crispy tenders for a healthier option without missing out on that crunch!
Meatloaf – I have a delicious turkey meatloaf recipe that you should check out!
Any sort of BBQ or Roast whether chicken or beef
Can this be made gluten-free?
Most definitely. Just use your favorite gluten-free pasta but be sure to pick up one that is tubular in shape so it holds the creamy sauce.
Can the cheese choices be switched?
Yes, while I believe this is a great blend of cheeses that makes for a delicious baked mac n cheese there can be adjustments made. Cheddar, however, is a must!
A good substitute for the cheeses can be Velveeta, Mozzarella, and/or Monterey Jack. All of these are readily available in any supermarket.
For a Vegan Mac and Cheese, check this butternut squash version out!