It is about time I share an egg roll recipe! I cannot believe that I have been blogging for 3 years and I have never shared one especially since I love them. There is just something about a handheld crispy and flavorful bite of food that keeps you going back for more. These chicken egg rolls are filled with tender bites of chicken and potato seasoned with curry. The outside is fried for just 2 minutes to make it super crispy yet not oily. I pair these with a delicious herby yogurt dip which has lots of dill and garlic.
With Ramadan around the corner, these freezer-friendly appetizers will surely be welcome on the table. It will probably be the first to go to! These happen to be really easy to make too. Basically, make the stuffing first by boiling the potatoes and cooking the chicken at the same time. Season the filling generously and set to the side. Stuff the egg rolls and wrap just like a burrito closing the ends with a little bit of water. Warm some frying oil in a shallow pot or pan to about 350 F and fry the egg rolls for about 2-3 minutes until crisp.
To store these, you would do all the steps that come before frying. Place the egg rolls in a zip lock bag making sure to keep some wax paper in between them so they do not stick. Defrost for a few minutes then fry as usual. They really come in handy for days where you just need a quick bite or of course in Ramadan when planning ahead is key. Check out this blogpost I wrote covering 30 perfect Ramadan recipes.
Definitely check out these other recipes if this interests you:
Chicken Egg Rolls
- 4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Large onion, finely diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Chicken breast, cubed
- 3 tbsp Mild Curry Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Yogurt Dill Sauce
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sour cream or Labneh
- 3 tbsp Chopped Dill
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Package of Egg Roll wraps
- Frying oil
- First, make the dip. This tastes better cooled and when flavors have some time to mesh together. To do so, just mix together all the dip ingredients really well then store covered in the fridge in the meantime.
- To get started on the egg rolls, boil the cubed potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. This should take about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the diced onions and garlic in olive oil until fragrant and transluscent.
- Add the chicken at this point and cook for about 10 minutes until perfectly tender. Season with curry, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder.
- Mix all together then add the drained tender potatoes to the chicken mixture. Stir all together so all the seasonings get incorporated evenly. Season the potatoes with a little more salt and pepper as they need extra seasoning.
- Set aside the filling. To each egg roll wrap, add 2 tbsp of filling along one of the corners then wrap around the filling and tuck in the sides and continue wrapping until you reach a triangular end. Add a brush of water to the end and seal the egg roll. Repeat.
- To fry the egg rolls, bring about 4 cups of canola oil to about 350 F in temperature. The egg roll should sizzle as soon as it hits the oil. The egg roll will only require to be fried for 2-3 minutes until all sides are crisp and browned. Depending on the size of the pan/pot, you can fry several at a time.
- After frying, place the egg rolls standing up on a paper towel-lined bowl so any excess oil drips off.
- Enjoy warm as is or dip in the yogurt herb sauce which pairs perfectly with it.