The season’s are changing and it is getting cooler here in Chicago. It is time for comforting meals that bring warmth and cozy feels! One of meals I make every year around this time is my healthy turkey chili. This chili is simple to put together and it is super delicious. It makes for a hearty meal for the entire family. It is also nutritious because it is jam packed with lean protein and lots of different vegetables. You can even add quinoa to it if you wanted it to be even more filling but I promise it is amazing as it is!
I didn’t grow up eating ground turkey ever. I wasn’t introduced to it until I was married and my in laws used it often in their cooking. It began to grow on me. I really liked the fact that it was so lean yet just as filling as beef or lamb; it is also a nice change. In this healthy turkey chili, it is honestly perfect with all the seasonings and flavors going on. This chili isn’t too spicy; it just has a slight kick but nothing overbearing. I always recommend adjusting seasoning to your family’s liking. If you prefer something more spicy, then go ahead and add more chili and smoked paprika or even cayenne pepper. For us, this is just perfect!
If you are vegetarian, you can definitely enjoy this chili without the ground turkey. Diced potatoes and sliced mushrooms are a perfect way to add heartiness in place of the ground turkey. As mentioned above, quinoa can also be added for more nutrition and to make it even more filling. Chili’s are honestly so flexible and great for a weeknight meal. You can have fun topping them off with whatever you desire to.
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 15 oz Sweet Corn kernel can
- 15 oz Black Beans can
- 1 cup Salsa of choice
- 1 cup Fresh cut salsa (pico de gallo)
- 28 oz Crushed Tomato can
- 1 Bell Pepper chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3.5 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 3.5 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste be generous
- Sour Cream
- Avocado slices
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Cilantro and/or Jalepenos
- In a pot, add the olive oil along with the garlic, onions, and bell pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until fragrant and lightly caramelized. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Then, add the ground turkey. Break this down and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Mix all together and cook on medium heat.
- Add the tomato sauce, salsa, and pico to the pot and mix together. Season with salt and pepper. Then, add the corn and black beans. Give this a stir and cover. Let the chili simmer for 20-30 minutes oon its own.
- Taste and see if the chili needs more seasoning to your liking and adjust. Then, serve in a bowl with the desired toppings from below to your liking. Enjoy!