Hey guys! I am starting a series based on the versatile and beloved squash as I have a bountiful of them growing in our garden this summer. I want to highlight how unique and flexible this vegetable truly is. Since it is mild in flavor on its own, it can be an awesome vehicle for so many different dishes. Not only is it healthy, low in calories, but also delicious and vibrant.
The first recipe for this series is these absolutely delicious zucchini lasagna roll-ups. Lasagna without the calories and carbs of actual pasta but not lacking on any flavor. Sounds like a great idea, right? Trust me, this meal will fulfill any pasta cravings you have. The ricotta and tomato mixture with the soft squash and fresh herbs go so well together.
These zucchini lasagna roll-ups are also SO easy. I love sharing simple approachable recipes with you guys. This is totally manageable and absolutely scrumptious. This is also a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies! Looking forward to seeing what you think of this recipe. Enjoy!
Check out these other zucchini recipes on my blog:
Chicken stuffed Zucchini Boats
Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
- 2 Zucchini (or yellow squash) Large, sliced thinly into 1/4-1/2 inch thick
- 3 cups Tomato Sauce of choice
- 1 pint Mushrooms optional
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Mozzerela Cheese shredded
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil Chopped
- 2 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Garlic cloves Minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the sliced zucchini on a sheet pan seasoned with salt and pepper. Make sure to either use parchment paper or spray the tray with olive oil. Also, lightly spray the zucchini. Bake on 400 F for about 8 minutes until they are just tender and easy to roll. Take out and let it slighlty cool.
- In a baking dish, about 9×11 in size, add the tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan spreading it out evenly.
- In a pan, add the olive oil and mushrooms. Sautee with salt and pepper until mushroomms are soft. Place this on top fo the tomato sauce. Mix together.
- At this point, work on the filling. Just combine all its ingredients into a bowl and mix together very well until its one cohesive creamy filling.
- Take a slice of the zucchini. Add 1 big spoonful of filling a few inches from the end of the zucchini slice. Then, roll the bottom over the filling and keep on rolling. It is okay if some filling oozes out. Place this on top of the sauce mixture. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices.
- If you have extra ricotta filling, either add it to the baking pan or save it for future use in your fridge kept in an airtight container.
- Top the zucchini roll ups with the mozzerella cheese. Bake in a 400 F oven for about 10-15 minutes until cheese has melted. Then broil for a minute. Enjoy warm as is!
As always, I love hearing from you so please leave a comment below if you are excited to try this recipe out and your thoughts when you do!
Feel free to share with me on my Instagram page too; I would love to see!!