I have always had a love for Italian food especially since I grew up in a predominantly Italian town. We had so much Italian food around us that it is easily one of my favorite cuisines to indulge in. Who doesn’t love pasta and pizza? Give me all the carbs! This healthy chicken piccata is my take on a classic Italian dish but without the added butter or wine. We are keeping it light and halal! And you know what? It is so good and doesn’t even feel like you are eating a healthier dish.
What chicken cut is best for this healthy chicken piccata?
The chicken typically used would be chicken cutlets which you can typically find already cut at your butcher. If not, you can definitely do so yourself. You would just cut a chicken breast into 3 thin pieces horizontally. I like to use chicken tenderloins as they are smaller in size, tender, and easy to work with. I use the technique of pounding my meat to make them equal in size, more tender, and have an even cooking time.
You can have this healthy chicken piccata on the dinner table in under 30 minutes! There you have it. A nourishing wholesome meal in no time at all. Trust me your family will love it too. Traditionally, angel hair pasta is served with chicken piccata but to make it healthier you have a few other choices. Possibly try a whole grain spaghetti or some veggies or even some cauliflower rice! Check out my youtube video below for visual instruction on how to make this dish! Just follow along and I assure you a delicious meal will be the outcome. Enjoy! Let me know in the comment section what you think when you make it! I always love hearing from you guys. And don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and youtube!
Healthy Chicken Piccata
- 1 lb Chicken Tenderloins or chicken cutlets
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Lemon's Juice
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour reserve 1 tbsp for thickening the sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive oil divided
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock or Broth
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1/4 cup Parsley garnish
- 4 Lemon slices
- 8 oz Cooked Angel Hair Pasta
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese garnish
- First, pound the chicken with a mallet to make it tender and make them even in size. To do so, pat dry the chicken on a paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and use a mallet to hammer the chicken to make them even in thickness. See video for visual instructions.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and lemon pepper.
- Add the flour to a shallow dish. Season with some salt and pepper. Stir. Then, coat the chicken on both sides in the flour. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- In a large pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the chicken tenderloins. Cook on medium high heat for about 4 minutes on each side until nicely browned on both sides and cooked throughout. Chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F and no pink is present in the center.
- Remove the chicken once cooked from the pan an set aside on a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and add the onions and garlic to the pan with the 1 tbsp of flour. Cook for a minute or two then add in the vegetable stock and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon slices as well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil so it starts to thicken faster. Then lower to a simmer stirring occasionally. Add in the capers and stir. Add back in the chicken tenderloins once you see that the sauce is thickening. Let this simmer together for a minute or two.
- Plate over angel hair pasta. Garnish with some parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Enjoy warm!