Okay, drop everything that you are doing and go get the ingredients for this super easy chocolate mousse. It is amazing! Anyone who has tried it while recipe testing will concur. Imagine a very creamy, chocolate forward, silky smooth mousse. It is light and not overly sweet; honestly it is perfection!
Oh, and there is no baking required! So, this no bake dessert is perfect for those who shy away from the oven. It is fairly simple to make too, just need to follow a few technical steps carefully and you will achieve chocolate perfection. I promise this easy dessert will be a winner in your household amongst your family and friends.
For this no-bake dessert, you can use any chocolate you prefer but of course, a great quality one is always favored. Now, you can get sweet, semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate. Honestly, whatever you prefer but you must keep in mind that semi-sweet chocolate is sweeter than dark chocolate. So, it is really a preference! This also means you may need to adjust the sugar level in the cream if necessary!
Easy Chocolate Mousse
- 1.5 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1.5 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate chips see notes
- 1 tsp Halal Gelatin Powder I used Hearthy Foods brand
- 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Nescafe (or any instant coffee)
- 1 tsp Vanilla flavoring
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil divided
- First, melt the chocolate over a double broiler. To do so, place the chocolate in a stainless steel bowl over a pot with boiling water and stir until it has melted. Add the vanilla, 2 tbsp of nescafe, 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and stir. Make sure not to get any water in the chocolate or it will seize. If the chocolate isnt silky smooth after m completely melting, then add another 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to thin it out and make it silky. This is dependent pn the quality of the chocolate used.
- Once the chocolate is melted, set it aside but still over the pot with the boiling hot water. This will keep it melted as we work on the other components. Stir every now and then.
- Now, add a 1/4 of the heavy whipping cream into a small stainless measuring cup or bowl with the tsp of gelatin powder. Mix together and set that aside. The gelatin will need to dissolve in a later step.
- Secondly, chill the stainless bowl and whisk that will be used to whip the remainder of the heavy whipping cream. They must be chilled for at least 10 minutes in the freezer. I used my kitchenaid with the whisk attachment to whip the cream. Add powdered sugar and the remaining heavy cream into the bowl and whip until you have semi-stiff peaks! You want it to hold its shape but still be fluffy. This can take around 5 minutes or more.
- The reserved whipped cream has gelatin that must be dissolved to stabilize the mousse. So, warm it up over the stove top until it has dissolved mixing it well. Once dissolved, add this to the melted chocolate and stir.
- Now, you are left with melted chocolate and whipped cream. Gently fold in half of the whipped cream into the melted chocolate. I want to emphasize gently because you do not want to lose the airiness and fluffiness in the whipped cream. Fold in the rest of the cream into the chocolate until you have a luscious mousse.
- Spoon this into your desired servingware and keep it in the fridge for 1 hour to chill then enjoy! You can enjoy it right away but it taste best cool and will hold its shape better too. If you plan to keep it in the firdge for more than an hour then make sure to cover with plastic wrap to protect it from other odors.
- Top with some whipped cream and shaved chocolate. Serve with some fresh berries & Enjoy!
easy chocolate mousse
no bake dessert